Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Henri Chapelle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:49 pm 
1337 Hooker

Today I was able to attend a Non commissioned Officer Development Program at Henri Chapelle American Cemetery, and learn about some of the soldiers that were buried there in WWII. This a good website with some pictures to give you an Idea of what the cemetery looks like. http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/hc.php

After learning about some of the soldiers buried there we went to the Remember Museum a few kilometers away, Where we met some of the most awesome Belgians ever, Mathilde & Marcel. They operate the Museum out of their house, on their own funds, and it's completely free of charge; They ask that you only "remember that freedom comes from sacrifice." Marcel, which was a 12 year old boy during the Nazi occupation started his collection of WWII items shortly after his town was liberated by the Americans. Some of the soldiers had left their belongings at his barn when they had to leave to fight in the Battle of the Bulge near Bastogne. From then on he had received various items over the years and eventually him and his wife opened a museum. The both love Americans to tears and help many veterans and their families out. Here's their website with a photo gallery and location. http://remembermuseum.com/en/?Remember_Museum

If you enjoy WWII history at all and you are ever in the area of Liege, Belgium, I highly recommend visiting Henri Chapelle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:32 pm 
Splakking Spree

:O Marcel is a romo name!!

^LOL
wonderbread wrote:
Randy wrote:
If you jailbreak it why would you need to buy guns?

wtf?

The Smashing Pumpkins wrote:
"If there is a god, I know he loves to rock"

Quote:
"Are you an illusion, or am I just getting stoned?"

Quote:
I’m gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yellow no good kiesta off my property, before I pump your guts full of led!–Angels with Dirty Faces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 pm 
The British One
The British One

Belgium really is a great place to learn about WW1 and WW2..

I went there a few years back with College, and we went to Ypres, and to No Mans Land. Fascinating place, really is. You really do not know how many people died once you visit the cemeteries, theres just hundreds apon hundreds of crosses and stuff.

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill