Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car suggestions...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:19 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

well, i'm gonna be getting my first (used) car soon, but idk what it should be, i've been browsing on cars.com and i found this

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.js ... f=national

my dad says pontiacs are shitty and i don't know anything and let him decide (this car caught my eyes cuz of the mileage and price and it looks nice), but i've realized over the years, my dad just talks big and doesn't know much and i don't like his taste in cars (he has a 25 year old mercedes that's still running, i mean, it's classy and all, but i don't want to drive classy) so i don't want to leave it up to him, so what's a nice, cheap, used car? i'm looking for car up to 7,000$ with not a shit ton of mileage

i also don't know what to look for in cars, so any advice/tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Car suggestions...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:26 pm 
1337 Hooker

cursed sasuke wrote:
...pontiacs are shitty...

Start reading consumer reports and aim for low mileage. Use vehicle history reports, ie... carfax.

Look under the hood. Make sure there is minimal to no wear and tear on parts. Look at all the wires for tears or corrosion. Make sure there is no leaks; obviously there would be wet looking spots in the engine area. Your best bet to how well a car was maintained by a previous operator is if the engine looks abused or not.

Decide on if you really need a smaller sporty car or a sedan or a truck. Sporty cars cause younger people to get raped by insurance companies. <-- Mostly will happen regardless until you turn 25. Do you really need a large truck for something you won't be using it for?

Last edited by Wraith on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:36 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

I would suggest for a first car get something more like a honda civic or accord, something that will run forever, but also, that's a good price for a car with such low miles. I just sold my 06 honda accord v6 with 44,000 miles on it for 13,000... as they hold their value much better, but I'm not one to pass up a good deal, if a car has lost its value over the years, its their loss, your gain :)

The brand of the car is going to have less to do with reliability, its more on how it was taken care of, and the exact model (like if that specific year/car has issues), some cars are just lemons, no matter what brand.

I disagree with "Pontiac are shitty" its more like, cheap shitty cars are shitty, if a car is cheap, you get what you pay for, if you bought a nice expensive 2002 TA WS6, it would go 200k miles + but if you buy a grand am, well, you are buying a car that cost half the price of an accord, of course its going to be less reliable, its a cheaper car, but if it lasts 150k miles, you paid half the price for a car that lasted 3/4 the mileage... which one is the better deal?

Check out craigslist, your local paper, and auto trader for good deals, then compare those deals and pick which one you like the most. Check out and drive multiple cars until you pick the one you like, don't settle on a car that you are not happy with.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:46 pm 
1337 Hooker

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks. ... and-am.htm

http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/grandam/ ... eview.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

thanks guys, and i'll check out those links auto, and on another note, i've heard that red cars are more expensive or there's more insurance for a red car? idk, i heard a couple of kids talking about that today and their reason was everyone wants a red car, so they up the price on that? is that a myth or fact?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:43 am 
1337 Hooker

I've heard the same. I believe it's because people get more speeding tickets with red cars.