Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Books?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:56 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

I'm not really sure where to put this but I figured that this being the entertainment section of things, books we are currently reading would fit quite well in here.

Same rules for the movies and tv shows threads that are going on right now. describe a book your reading in hopes that people may be turned on or off into reading it.

here we go:

Just picked up this book call "outliers" by malcom gladwell. sub titled, "the story of success". VERY VERY interesting and easy read. In america, we live in a meritocracy. Even this clan's recruitment is based off of this said thing. The idea that our positions are filled based off the work you do as an individual. In outliers, Malcolm Gladwell challenges this very proposition. He suggests that luck plays a large role in our success as well as minor details such as being born in a certain month. One example he uses is taken from the Canadian youth hockey leagues. The major junior A hockey league is supposedly the best league for youth to play in, in canada. The best of the best face off each year in it's championship game. Malcoml Gladwell presents the reader with roster sheet of the Medicine Hat Tigers. I looked through it and didn't see much. However, after having the author guide my searching I can see that the majority of the lineup was born in the months of january, feb., and march. The cutoff date for youth to play in that league age wise is Jan. 1. Thus, the oldest and much more "mature" players in that league were born in those months. This creates a huge gap when they are developing their skills starting at the early ages of 7, 8, 9, and 10. The gap grows exponentially over time. Because they were born right after the cut off, they could accrue more ice time, build upon their skills, they are naturally bigger, and by the end of it they look better for recruitment by the better coaches and leagues. Who knew being born in those months could play such a huge advantage in your development as an athlete?

Stories like this go on. The examples and style of writing keeps you in tune and it is VERY hard to put down. Bill Gates is talked about. The Beatles.

Amazing read thus far, try it out or I could mail it to anyone if they want to check it out when I'm done.

5/5

Post subject: Re: Books?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 pm 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

Outliers is amazing, if you liked that than read his previous book, Blink.

I also recommend Freakonomics, it's economics that will blow your mind away...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 pm 

What's Blink on?

Malcom Gladwell has me hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Just finished Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makover"

Starting "IT Wars: Managing the Business-Technology Weave in the new millennium" by David Scott.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:38 pm 
OmG H4x !!!111one!!eleventyone!

My favorite series is the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. The first of the series is The Way of Shadows, then Shadow's Edge and Beyond the Shadows. Yes, they all /sound/ very cliche. Not so. The series begins as a bildungsroman with Azoth, a grimy guild rat. His life is worse than hell until he meets the world's greatest wetboy, Durzo Blint. What is a wetboy? Think of it this way. A lizard is to a dragon as an assassin is to a wetboy. Wetboys not only have the classic assassination skills as assassins themselves, but also have mastered the Talent; a form of natural magic that resides within oneself. Azoth begs Durzo to allow him to apprentice with him, and Durzo, hardened by years (or more) of killing, changing identities, and training. Through this book there are more than a few interesting characters, such as Doll Girl and Jarl, two of Azoth's guild rat friends, Momma K, the underground owner of all of the brothels in Cenaria's capital, Viridiana, the only female wetboy, Khali, a goddess of pain and suffering that no one had thought truly existed, and the Godking, a ruler that no one can oppose.

This series is one that can drastically change plots within the matter of 10 pages. Even with so much detail, the series still leaves you guessing and wanting more up until the final chapter. Long read, but very entertaining.

Disclaimer: This is definitely an adult series, and more of a guys' series. The series approaches controversial and taboo subjects such as brothels, murder, rape, incest, child abuse, and slavery. Staged in an era similar to medieval times. Also, this series is very gory, and there are many, many deaths. Strong language, also. The series can become very depressing because of multiple deaths, failed attempts at freedom, and misfortune, yet is thrilling at the same time. There are so many twists and turns, that you could skip a chapter and be completely lost. The ending is bittersweet, but creates a wonderful resolution to all of the issues, plots, and characters in the series.

All in all, a wonderful series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:44 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

The last book I read was World War Z which takes place on a post-apocalyptic world where zombies came to be. Pretty good book as its read like a documentary. Its written like its a documentary and has well detailed accounts of people in the zombie war. Pretty good book to read.

I'll be reading Sophie's World and The Greatest Show On Earth as soon as I get to a Barnes & Noble's

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm 
OmG H4x !!!111one!!eleventyone!

cornholio wrote:
The last book I read was World War Z which takes place on a post-apocalyptic world where zombies came to be. Pretty good book as its read like a documentary. Its written like its a documentary and has well detailed accounts of people in the zombie war. Pretty good book to read.

I'll be reading Sophie's World and The Greatest Show On Earth as soon as I get to a Barnes & Noble's

I read a summary on that. I want to read it. It sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm 
1337 Hooker

The Divinci Code. It's like watching the movie only it wasn't rotting my brain cells.

I'm starting on Combat Infantry Tactics of the Second World War.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:59 pm 
Splakking Spree

cornholio wrote:

Yes sir, I agree. I enjoyed the book and I'm going to read The Zombie Survival Guide and probably Pride and Prejudice and Zombie.

Last book I read was I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephan Colbert. Great time killer and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to enjoy some good laughs.

Stonedar420 wrote:
Zombies so gay.. he sends penises to himself and he doesnt even realize it.

That would make a great bumper sticker for Zombie.

"Im so gay, I dont know I send myself penises"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:39 pm 
Splakking Spree

Im re-reading the collected works of H P Lovecraft. Very good stuff if you have a good imagination and love horror stories

ColeLT1 - Wyatt talked like that before it was cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Bought 2 Calvin and Hobbes books. ;)

C&H ftw!

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:34 pm 
Splakking Spree

That band I always talk about (Coheed and Cambria) actually created an entire novel to cover the story of their newest album, Year of the black rainbow(yea,yea,yea weird album name) I was pretty excited because their story was only previously available in comic form.

Anyway, the book is about 350 pages and is very star warsy and epic, telling the story about a scientist who creates 3 super-humans to retaliate against a tyrannical wizard-dude who takes control over their solar system. Sounds cheesy, but has some clever movie references(evil dead) and can be gory and funny at times.

it was written by the lead singer of the band, and also Peter David, who is friggin' amazing. Hes done things from the incredible hulk,x factor, and young justice comics. He also wrote a lot of star trek novels.

problem is, the book is only available with the deluxe edition, which is only sold in record stores

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:52 am 

cornholio wrote:

I just finished reading World War Z, but I did not find it as entertaining as Zombie Survival Guide. I want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombie also.

By far the best zombie book I've ever read is Day by Day Armageddon. I finished the book in one night, because I was simply addicted and I couldn't stop reading for 8 hours.

Idk if any of you have heard of the series Animorphs? Well, its a 56 book series I read when I was 13 I enjoyed each book thoroughly and now my little cousin is reading it.

Right now I am reading a book called Hit the Ground Running and its about 10 CEO's that have made a small company into a multi million dollar corporation today, and after that I will start to read Confessions of an Economic Hitman followed by The Jungle.

Lastly, another great book I recommend is called Google. It is simply the life of the two creators of Google and is very very very captivating.

Hope my suggestions help someone ^_^

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 am 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

I remember Animorphs being the biggest thing in the 5th grade when they came out. yeaaaaahhh good times, I never read any of them though :!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:09 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

I just finished Fast Food Nation. Pretty interesting stuff