Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:37 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

I got a youtube channel up documenting my student teaching experience. Think of it as the "Greg Show".

http://www.youtube.com/user/clonedintoevil

Its been a day to day thing right now, 3 days running, but I'm probably going to open it up to a once or twice thing a week.

Give me some thoughts, thanks.

Its a New Hampshire state school that is a K-8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:57 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Well ,where do you want to go with this?

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:46 am 

its a video log documenting my day to day and week to week events at the school.

feel free to add feedback in terms of whats being talked about. do i make sense? are my lessons lame in your opinion? stuff like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:05 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

i wonder if any of my teachers are doing this...lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:20 pm 
Splakking Spree

just curious, did you have to get the parents consent

ColeLT1 - Wyatt talked like that before it was cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 pm 

So as a student I'm happy that you're looking for feedback and I've got some for you and hopefully it'll help. My history teacher has a really good method of teaching us about a war. She will break it up into major battles and ask us for homework to make a quiz of the war using a certain number of question from each battle. She usually makes it a 20Q quiz so lets say 4 battles, 5 questions about each. She also says some can have a humorous answer, but the questions have to be legit. When they bring in their homework the next day lets say one of them didn't do the homework he has to take one of the quizzes and take it as an actual quiz and will get graded on it accordingly out of 20. The others will have a homework well done! This method teaches my whole class the best. Maybe you could do it for once every chapter and lets say the chapter has 4 lessons, ask 5 questions per lesson.

Now, about the apathetic students. I'm one of those kids, but only when it comes to English class. I will put my head down and sleep the whole time everyday for English. I simply have no enthusiasm for the subject. This is due to the fact that I have one of the worst English teachers. She is terrible because she is so monotone and bores everyone to death. You're a young teacher so I recommend cracking jokes sometimes and having energy, but that sometimes leads to kids getting out of hand.

Lastly, honestly the best way to make kids enthusiastic is an incentive. You said don't do the work for anyone or your grade, but kids only want something. I find the best incentive is a nice, big, long, juicy
Sour Belts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm 
Chuck Norris' Nuts (All 5 Of Them)

My world history teacher would always have a 1 question quiz about what we were learning at the time in the beginning of the class everyday. He would give us 10 minutes to talk with everyone about the quiz to find the correct answer + share ideas. I thought it was interesting, plus I got to hear what everyone else thought.
Oh yeah, he never wanted anyone to just copy the answer from the book/notes, but really explain enough that a 5 year old to understand. So, we knew what we were really talking about and not bullshitting.

Maybe it would work for your class?

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
She is officially a member of the Itty bitty titty committee.

"Who controls the present controls the past. And, who controls the past controls the future" - George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm 

dont need parents consent because im not really talking about kids. im talking about pedagogy and so forth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm 

both gigi and ballin present me with some great ideas! thanks!

ballin, the problem with incentive driven work is questioning whether or not students are really understanding what I am asking them to think about. Everyone can work for a paycheck or do the minimum for a B or a C...whatever. Im hoping to drive students to do work that engages them and steers them to an understanding that isn't just implied when they get an A. Grades are needed to track students progress. Not necessarily needed to prove to me they are understanding material.

Humor and Energy are two things that I do best. It is a really fine line between fun and seriousness, I am happy you made that observation.

And apathy stems from a lot of things. I think it is up to us teachers to find that cause and try to fix it. It is also YOUR education. Make it known that you are bored in class and need some more stimuli to learn. I think MOST teachers will empathize with your concerns and try to work towards a goal so that you can learn in his/her classroom.

I take on 8th Grade US history starting monday of next week. This includes teaching and assessing. Crazy.

stay posted for more vids

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

Make your students outline major chapters/sections. It helps a lot with memorizing things

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm 
1337 Hooker

where they go?

(you know your my skinny rockin english brother right reaper?)

bob wrote:
I'm picking up my toys and going home.