Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:43 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Developer mode is for testing, not really a mode meant to play on, it won't hurt anything, and it does allow > 100fps (its where I took these high fps pics on my old pc):

But the point is, anything above 72fps we can't see flicker (on a CRT, and LCDs blur so 60 is fine), so all you end up doing is making your computer work harder and run hotter to squeeze out all the fps it can. I would rather cap it so the computer does not stress as much, so the cpu and gpu get some break cycles, considering you cannot tell a difference... well... the only difference I see when I go >100 fps is extreme tearing and horrible choppiness due to my monitor having a vsync of 60. The only vsyncs I know for LCD's are 60 and 120, 200 seems like extreme overkill and I would hate to see the tearing as you go around corners and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:25 am 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

i got a question, how do you get over 60-100 fps w/o developer? i hate being stuck with only a certain amount, i think you need a CRT monitor for higher fps? and LCD only does 60-100? i'm not sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:52 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

cursed sasuke wrote:
i got a question, how do you get over 60-100 fps w/o developer? i hate being stuck with only a certain amount, i think you need a CRT monitor for higher fps? and LCD only does 60-100? i'm not sure

You cannot get over 100 without dev mode, without some for of a hack.

Every monitor has is own refresh rate...

LCD monitors "normally" have a fixed (native) resolution and refresh rate. This is because each pixel is a tiny tiny LCD, so say you have a 1280x1024@60hrz LCD monitor, this means that there are literally 1280 lcd pixels across and 1024 vertically, each pixel is either red, green, blue, or black, all refreshing at 60hertz (fps). This cannot be changed, this is ALWAYS what the monitor actually outputs.... but.... if you set the resolution to, say, 1024x768, your computer outputs to that, but the monitor has physically 1280x1024 pixels, so it must decide what to do, and what it does is every 2 or 3 pixels it doubles up on that 1, so it stretches the image out, giving you worse quality (you may not notice though), its like zooming in on a digital picture, more or less you are zooming in. Which is why all LCD monitors, if you can, you should run at the native resolution. They do make 120hrz LCD's now but they are expensive, and 60hrz (to me) looks fine on a LCD. LCD's also use a back light, this back light shines through a blue pixel, it appears blue, but to make black it has to try to black out that back light, which is kinda impossible, which is why LCD's cant do true black its kinda close, but not true black.

CRT monitors are a whole different beast, they use a cathode ray tube which has an electron gun in the back of it. Say yours is a 1280x1024@60hrz model, so, 60 times a second the electron gun fires off 1280 across and then drops a line, does another 1280, repeats 1024 times, all 60 times a second, that is 78,643,200 electrons fired a second, and each electron is a different frequency that hit the front of the screen, where it has a phosphorescent layer, to light up either as red, green, or blue, or skips it to do black. What is cool about CRT's is they are not set to any certain pixel by design, they can do any resolution that is programmed into to it, so if you switch it to 1024x768, it does a true picture, not a stretched-to-fit thing. Also, as you drop the resolution the electron gun has to do less work, so you can do higher hrz (fps). So my old monitor did like 1280x1024@85, 1024x768@100, 800x600@120 etc. Because they redraw the image over and over, the human eye can notice a "flicker" in CRT's that are below 72hrz, 60 is noticeable, so you always want to force them to do something 72 or higher.

Also a old TVs is half that fps, but it is interlaced, meaning it skips the even lines, then skips the odds, over and over, so it smooths it out flicker free). This is where 480i, 480p, 720i. 720p, 1080i, 1080p comes from, the I is interlaced (even then odds skipped) the P is progressive scan (every line drawn every cycle so twice the fps).

So LCD monitors have a natural blurring effect, so they don't need >60 fps as bad as a CRT does, but a CRT has a better picture (if you have a good one) and can do true black. LCD will be replaced, because its still more or less a color held infront of a light, very bad, plasma and OLED tv's are better because each pixel generates its own light source, so if you want black, you get it.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:28 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

ok thanks, that clarified a lot lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:06 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

here's a little guide i found that'll help you set ur rates (some of it is meant for the server provider, in our case, Stack, so ignore it)

http://counter-strike.com/tickrate.php