Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:55 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Edit: No one really uses XP and CRT's anymore, so this info is no longer needed.

Warning: only tested with XP.

Reforce forces your refresh rate, hince.... reforce, but your monitor has different refresh rates for different resolutions. Most LCD monitors have a fixed rate of 60, which sucks, because this will do nothing (but it is worth a try), while many CRT's can go into the 72-hundreds, they are worth doing all of this.

Windows XP has a refresh rate bug in it, that no matter what refresh rate you set in windows, it goes back to 60, when you go into 3d games, this program fixes that.

First you will want to make sure your monitor driver is installed:
Right click your desktop, go to properties, hit advanced, and the monitor tab. If it has your monitor name at the top, you are good, if it says Plug and Play Monitor, you need to look on the front or back of the monitor and get the model name (like dell e170 or something). Then go the the manufacturer's site and download the driver for it, and install it. Sometimes there is not a driver for it, and you have to deal with "plug and play monitor."

While under this monitor tab you also have a refresh rate box, this is what reforce will be messing with, your refresh rate is how many fps your monitor is set to. Your monitor is set to 60, it is refreshing the picture on it, 60 times a second, if you get 120fps, your monitor is still only showing 60, then whats the point, all that is happening is your computer is working its ass off, for nothing. Reforce will allow your computer to only work as hard as needed, but not any more. :D

For LCD users (aka flat panel): You should 100% of the time have it set to the "native resolution" which normally is the max you can set it to in windows (if I have installed the driver for it). You can google this by searching your monitor specs, find the native resolution, and set it to that Right click your desktop, go to properties, settings to adjust your resolution. This will give you the best image your monitor can put out. A LCD has a fixed number of pixels vertical and horizontal, so when you have it set wrong, it has to stretch a pixel across 2 or 3 pixels to fix, leading to a blurry image. But if everything is too small for you in windows, set it to what you like, but IN GAME ALWAYS USE THE NATIVE RESOLUTION.

For CRT users, use whatever resolution you like, we will tweak this later, I use 1280x1024 for my 19 inch monitor, it seems to be a good size, and is the best resolution/fps setting I could find, more about that later.

Time to install reforce, dowload it:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1847
(if the above link does not work, just google reforce and download it...)

I always unzip it to "My Documents" because you may have to use it every so often.

Open Reforce, and hit the big "Auto Populate" button in the center, the Apply, yes, ok.

If you have a LCD monitor, look through the frequency column on the right. If you see nothing but 60, then just hit "restore original settings" because your monitor sucks and cannot go above 60fps... lol go into game, type fps_max 60, this will tell the game to not even try to go over 60, will make your computer not work as hard (default is 72).

If you see some higher ones, good, make a note to yourself of the frequency that corresponds to the resolution you use. Go into game, type fps_max ## (##= the number you saw in reforce). Or you can type fps_max 99, then check your fps, and say it is stopped at 72, then set it to fps_max 72, either way, same outcome.

If you have a CRT monitor (the large ones), then reforce will really help you out. The human eye can see a difference in frames on anything below 72, which is why the game has fps_max at 72, but if you do not use reforce, you are stuck at 60.

Look at the frequency column and look for the resolutions you want to use, Say 1024x768 will do 85, and 1280x1024 will do 75, anything above 72 is golden, so pick the highest resolution, that has a refresh rate above 72, then set your computer to that resolution. Luckily mine does 85 at 1280x1024, so in game I set my fps_max to 85 and enjoy a CONSTANT 85 frames.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Last edited by ColeLT1 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 am 
Chuck Norris' Beard

I used to do it, but because i play games like source and other games, when those games starts, they use 60 fps and reforce uses 80 fps, so the game doesn't start. If you want to play those games you have to disable reforce.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:14 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

cornholio wrote:
I used to do it, but because i play games like source and other games, when those games starts, they use 60 fps and reforce uses 80 fps, so the game doesn't start. If you want to play those games you have to disable reforce.

Sry, forgot to put that, if you open a game, and it refuses to open (never had that problem in source, but did with BF2, and some others), simply go to my documents, open reforce, hit restore defaults, its that easy, when you are ready for cz again, go back and hit auto populate again.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:44 pm 
Splakking Spree

do you think this would work on a laptop? i dont see why it wouldnt, but im just asking the guru. :wink:

ColeLT1 - Wyatt talked like that before it was cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:45 pm 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

Fyi... this does not work on Vista. When trying to set the resolution size, it gives you an awkward error message. A solution could be possible with some major setting changes or something alike on Reforce, but doing it the oridinary way on a normal Vista box does not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:48 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Sorry, I said that in Teamspeak at one point. I should have posted it.

Also, my googling for a similar program that is Vista 32/64 compatible yielded nothing.

Sorry fellow vista'ers. If you come across anything, let me know. I have a great test rig up and going!

:)

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:30 pm 
How Do I Spiderman??!??1

dude cole thx man ... i went from 60 to 99,,,which is pretty amazing for my shitty ass comp..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:03 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

i did this and in-game is perfect, but after i hit the windows button or i exit game, my desktop resolution scrunches down and it's black on the very top of the screen and my mouse can't go to it, any ideas as to how i can fix that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:20 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

cursed sasuke wrote:
i did this and in-game is perfect, but after i hit the windows button or i exit game, my desktop resolution scrunches down and it's black on the very top of the screen and my mouse can't go to it, any ideas as to how i can fix that?

Make sure your in game resolution is the SAME as your desktop resolution...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:43 am 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

both of my res. is 1152x864 and it still does it, i don't see why :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:25 am 
Head Cheerleader

cursed sasuke wrote:
both of my res. is 1152x864 and it still does it, i don't see why :\

That happens too me sometimes i just go back into cz and then hit the windows button again and its fixed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:29 pm 
Head Cheerleader

Alright so i had to unhook everything behind my computer(monitor,mouse,keyboard,etc..)
and when i hooked it all up again my reforce is now messed up when i open it is says this:
"Windows reports that a 'Default monitor' drive is active. This may cause automatic detection to give incorrect results. Check booted your PC with the monitor switched ON, and you are using appropriate monitor drivers."
and when i look at all the resolutions and the normal one i always use(1280x1024) it says its frequency is at 180 and most other resolutions are 180, 120, 150, etc.. is their away to fix this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:38 pm 
OmG H4x !!!111one!!eleventyone!

I was wondering, is it bad if I run it at 150 fps sometimes on surf maps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:01 pm 
Chuck Norris' Nuts (All 5 Of Them)

I think if it goes over 1000fps, then your screen can't handle it.

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
She is officially a member of the Itty bitty titty committee.

"Who controls the present controls the past. And, who controls the past controls the future" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:30 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

{rIOT gIIIRL} Gigi wrote:
I think if it goes over 1000fps, then your screen can't handle it.

LOL, she means 60 (unless you have xp and use reforce).