Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:27 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

like 6 maybe 7 months ago my mom thought it would be a good idea to switch our wired cards to wireless ones, and since then no one has liked it (especially me because i get horrible reg and lag spikes in-game) and our computer tech never answers his phone or anything so he can't switch it back, but i heard it's pretty easy setting up the wired internet, but that's the thing, we don't know how, i know how to put the cards into the towers, so, no need explaining that, so any help would be appreciated (btw once i set this up i can start going on xbox live again if anyone's wondering)

computer noob ftl :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 am 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

Just need to clarify one thing str8...

Your topic says, "wireless card to wired card"

, but in your thread you say, "...good idea to switch our wired cards to wireless ones."

Through the context of what you're saying, I assume you ment the first.

Setting up a wired network is extremely simple to do. All you have to do is get a router (and a switch, if you have more computers than the amount of ports on your router), and a bunch of CAT-5/e cables (in laymans terms: ethernet cords), and hook the cables from the router to the Network card. The hard part is if you want to put the cables inside the walls... THAT I can't help you with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:03 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Well, it seems that he already had that there from what he was saying earlier.

The cables *should* already be installed in the house. You will need to make the changes to your computer(install the wired nic's) Plug the cables into the router if you only have like 3-4 connections in the house.

Plug the switch into the router, and then the cables into the switch if you have more than that.

Everything should have already been laid out for you. You shouldn't have any major issues setting this up. It would be a matter of finding out what he did with the old equipment and putting it back in place.

Once everything is attached and good to go. Restart the router, and it should assign everything Ip's and you should be off and going. :)

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

cursed sasuke wrote:
my mom thought it would be a good idea to switch our wired cards to wireless ones

Display wrote:
"...good idea to switch our wired cards to wireless ones."
yeah, i used to have wired in my tower but my parents thought the wireless cards were better, so we switched to wireless and now my wired cards are sitting on the shelf collecting dust

btw, thanks chris :)

Last edited by cursed sasuke on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:26 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

weird, don;t motherboards usually have network cards already integrated in them?

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

One would assume, but since he brought it up... I figured he knew what he was talking about.

On the other hand, make sure that the older nic's that are sitting on the shelf(with the dust) arent able to hold a phone line. (my point is, make sure its not a fax modem)

Verify that its able to hold the larger rj-45 connector.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

if you mean if it comes with a card, yeah, it came with the wired one

i talked to my mom about it and she said there's some kind of password that our computer tech knows how to bypass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:47 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

You mean teh WEP encryption for the wireless signal the router is sending?

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:15 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

i don't know, my mom just went "well, there's a password that only Nick (our comp tech) knows how to bypass, and we need him to bypass it so we can have our wired connection again"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:52 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

ummmm, WTF. Im pretty sure is the WEP encryption for WIRELESS connection, not for wired. Just try plugging the pc straight to the network card and it should connect. If you want to configure the router, then you need the password an username set on the router.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:58 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

i have no clue what my mom is basically saying then, except if it's anything it's configuring the router :S
cursed sasuke wrote:
computer noob ftl :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:01 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

agreed. she is probably saying that you need the un/pw to actually enter the router.

I would assume that is what she is talking about.

For a quick test. You should connect the wired card to your PC. start it up. Plug your computer directly into the router. See if you get an ip address. If that is the case, then you are up and running.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:11 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

1. my mom doesn't trust me with any sort of card, cuz she thinks i'll touch the chip part and not the metal when i'm putting it in

2. my mom's comp is the one with the router plugged in

3. if my mom doesn't trust me with a card with my comp, she sure as hell won't let me near hers >.>

but i can still ask her to do it, but i can already imagine her answer, but seriously, thanks alot :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:57 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

If you can't touch them then there is no way you can fix it lol.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:23 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

take an ethernet cable and plug it into the back of your xbox 360.

Not sure if they work that way, you should be able to access the intarwebz through that.

Just a thought.

That will let you know if you are able to just connect to the router and not make any config. changes to it.

bob wrote:
Sorry,