Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speed Gear?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:28 pm 
Splakking Spree

ya so i heard about this program "Speed Gear" that speeds up games, internet and basically your computer. but im not to sure if it is legit before i try it & if their are any programs that spped your computer up that you guys may use and are better, and work fairly well.

becuase lately ive been haveing window freezes, like when i switch users it takes 5 min to switch and all i see is my background. and no icns or start bar. =/ this also happens when my screen saver pops up and i try to exit it, so i move the mouse and the screen just freezes up and i have to turn my powerbar on and re-boot my computer..

so i was wondering if you guys knew any thing i could do that would mab y help me out here. thanks! =D

i just thought maby i should post what my computer is made up of basically and maby u guys can just tell me if its working like it is becuase it is shit. lol

Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
3.19GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Video card: RADEON X300 Series <AAHAHHA PEICE OF SHIT I KNOW!

Last edited by ACE on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 pm 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

Have you tried a clean reformat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 pm 
Splakking Spree

well, ive just did this thing Cole told me about a year or so ago, the checkdisk thing? start>run>cms>shk dsk /r>y

and it did not really seem to help. im not to sure ifd that is what you mean, but if it is then .yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 pm 
NoobCake

just kill yourself

hit "`/~"

type in console..

"kill"

click submit.

Post subject: Re: Speed Gear?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:02 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

ACE wrote:
becuase lately ive been haveing window freezes, like when i switch users it takes 5 min to switch and all i see is my background. and no icns or start bar. =/ this also happens when my screen saver pops up and i try to exit it, so i move the mouse and the screen just freezes up and i have to turn my powerbar on and re-boot my computer..

Ok this has nothing to do with hardware although I would recommend increasing your RAM.

Anyway this sounds like a windows bug. Scan for viruses/spyware. Then use a windows recovery CD to restore windows. I would do a format and clean windows installation if I were you but try a recovery first it might help. It could be some corrupted windows system files or registry problem so it might be recoverable without a format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

I agree with sword.

You will spend more time actually trying to locate the problem/repair it than you would if you had just put a new copy of windows on it.

A new windows install will bring your computer back to as fast as it was as the day you bought it and is definitely worth the extra effort.

Hope that helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:23 am 
Splakking Spree

oh ok, but if i do that will i not have to re-install all my games, and wwont my dad and i lose all our files?

the thing is im trying to do this without having to let my dad know im doing all this shit becuase he will get questioning and trust me hes on of these guys who are like dont do it you will fuck it up and ill have to pay 500$ to fix it.

so could you explain how to do the "It could be some corrupted windows system files or registry problem so it might be recoverable without a format." part becuase i wanna try that before i do anything that ill have to re-do shit on my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:37 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

Start off by scanning for viruses and spyware
I recommend using adaware2008 (freeware) and AVG a/v (freeware as well)

You probably will find infections if you haven't done a recent scan.

If the problem still occurs after the cleanup here's some other things you can try in the order I prefer to do it in

- Make sure all your drivers are up-to-date. You're going have to do this manually or download an app like VersionTracker Pro or Driver Detective

- Hard Drive defrag on all partitions (Start –> Programs –> Accessories –> System Tools –> Disk Defragmenter)

- System restore to an earlier time (Start –> Programs –> Accessories –> System Tools –> System Restore)

Pick a date that you know the pc was running fine at, however there is a risk you might lose some data/software you installed after that date!

- If the above solutions dont fix it, Insert your Windows XP CD and choose "Repair existing installation" from the menu. You will still risk some applications not running after the repair so you might need to re-install them, but you will not lose you Dad's data or your own.

If I skipped a step or someone has a better solution to this "vague" problem plz correct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:50 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

If you think you have a virus run Spybot Search & Destroy, Free AVG, and Windows Defender.

If you still have issues after that. Then its somewhere else. If you have corrupt data files you can run a chkdsk /r in Command Prompt. After that runs, run a regular chkdsk in Command Prompt.

Check and see if there are any bad sectors in your HDD.

If both of those run, you have no bad sectors... and your still having issues...

Then the only thing left that I can think of is a reformat.

Hope one of those suggestions fixes it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:10 pm 
1337 Hooker

One thing you might wanna try and do is see how many processes you've got running on your computer. In start in the run bar type in msconfig and look at the startup programs. I always have the bare minimal amount of programs running on my pc.