Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overclocking
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 am 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

so i downloaded ATI Catalyst Control Center which is a driver or something, anyway, it allows me to change if i want better performance or better quality and it lets me overclock my GPU, i decided to click the help button, but that stuff doesn't really help me out, but it said that if i were to increase the GPU to it's maximum it will probably fail on me, i've already overclocked it, but just a little bit (there's a test custom clocks button, i passed no worries over there) so my question is what if i wanted to increase it to maximum? what would i have to buy so it wouldn't fail on me? (a better PSU? that's what i think)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

To overclock GPU "My" way:

Download a benchmarking app (like 3dmark06), Run the app and write down your score. You have 2 clocks to adjust CPU/GPU and Memory. Try GPU first, keep moving GPU speed up until the benchmark freezes or pauses, you have gone too far, back it off until it runs right, then back it off another 10mhz or so.

Repeat with Memory, except when you go to far on the memory you will get "artifacts" instead of freezing, artifacts look like beams of light or random static looking junk all over, or generally all screwed up images.

Also as you do the overclocking you will notice your scores changing, pick the best speed that is below your limit, that gives you the highest score.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 am 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

thanks alot stack :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:12 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

At some point cursed, you will notice a point of diminishing return. This means that you will push your voltages and clock up to a point where it is no longer moving even though you are still bumping things up and your temperatures are starting to skyrocket. I normally find that point, then go back to the point where it started. Then back it off just a bit.

So... if voltage is lets say(i'm just putting a number here because I don't have my benchmarks in front of me) at 1.25v with a core bus of 650mhz and a memory bus of 975mhz and a temp of 61C. If I bump anything higher I'm getting artifacts, or my 3dmark06 scores are decreasing/staying the same, then I'll probably bump it back to 1.225v and bring my core bus back to 640mhz and my memory bus back to 970mhz which will lower my overall temp and increase the longevity of my GPU.

Does this make sense?

So.. in the real world, extreme overclocking isn't economical, pushing your card to its designed CONTROLLED limits is. :)

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:25 am 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

yeah it makes sense, so what if i SLIGHTLY rose it? it wouldn't be a big deal would it? so lets say the defaults are 650 for core and 950 for memory and i do like 670 for core and 1000 for memory, it wouldn't bother it in anyway would it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 am 
Chuck Norris' Beard

If it passes the test it's fine. I have to use it because there is a glitch on the 7900 gt where i have to bump the frequency a bit to get the card to work right.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:27 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

bob wrote:
At some point cursed, you will notice a point of diminishing return. This means that you will push your voltages and clock up to a point where it is no longer moving even though you are still bumping things up and your temperatures are starting to skyrocket. I normally find that point, then go back to the point where it started. Then back it off just a bit.

So... if voltage is lets say(i'm just putting a number here because I don't have my benchmarks in front of me) at 1.25v with a core bus of 650mhz and a memory bus of 975mhz and a temp of 61C. If I bump anything higher I'm getting artifacts, or my 3dmark06 scores are decreasing/staying the same, then I'll probably bump it back to 1.225v and bring my core bus back to 640mhz and my memory bus back to 970mhz which will lower my overall temp and increase the longevity of my GPU.

Does this make sense?

So.. in the real world, extreme overclocking isn't economical, pushing your card to its designed CONTROLLED limits is. :)

Wtf, this is new to me, I have not overclocked a card since my 7800gt, and I do realize that there actually is a new thing to adjust (the shader clock, but normally its locked in with the cpu speed), but voltage is now adjustable in video cards in software (riva tuner/ati/nvidia cp)?

I know it is adjustable if you soft mod, reflash, or volt mod with a resistor and solder on the card, but I guess I have been out of the video card game for too long.

That being said, I would avoid messing with the voltage on your card unless you have aftermarket air or water cooling on the card.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:34 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

sorry, like i said i didn't have my benchmarks in front of me, and i haven't overclocked a gpu since the 7600GT that is in the "server."

running off of something i did 3 yrs ago. sorry. :)

for some reason i thought i remembered modifying the voltage.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.