Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

One of the things I hate about vista is the removal of useful tools that I used when setting up a computer. One being the System Restore "slider" in windows XP, right click my computer, properties, system restore, I always set it 1 notch above the lowest (which is 200), so depending on drive size it would be somewhere around a gig, this gave plenty of restore points for at least a month back, and if you have a problem, do you go a month back, or 2 years?

Vista uses the default 15% rule, which is fucking stupid, my computer has twin 640gb in a raid 0, so its about 1.2tb of usable space. This equates to 180gb of restore points, freaking stupid. I noticed this when my lean and trim C drive (keep it simple and fast) started to get bloated, I really noticed at 280gb (for simply internet use, steam, and a few programs) that something was wrong, I went to C, highlighted everything, properties, and sure enough, I was only using 100gb, so system restore was sure enough using 180gb.

In vista to do the same thing, you must go to start, type cmd, right click it and run as admin (or find it under programs and run as admin) and run this command: Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=1800MB

You can adjust the size, I would say 1000mb-2000mb should be plenty, but its your choice, if you want to know how much you are using now is go to my computer, right click your c drive, take drive space (total) and multiply time .15

Here is the entire writeup to explain what all your options are:

To start with, Vista Home Premium and Home Basic users can access Previous Versions using a handy utility called Shadow Explorer. This makes the Previous Versions feature useful for every Vista user. Next, if you still want to reclaim your shrinking drive space, or you want to limit the amount of space Vista uses for the System Protection functionality, there are several solutions:

Delete Old Restore Points & Shadow Copies: If you just want to clean up all older Restore Points and Shadow Copies to quickly free up some disk space, you can do so as often as necessary using the Disk Cleanup tool, available by right-clicking on your drive name in Windows Explorer, selecting Properties, and clicking the Disk Cleanup button. Alternatively just type "Cleanmgr" (without quotes) in the Start>Run box and press Enter. Select the 'Files from All Users on this Computer' option and then under the 'More Options' tab click the 'Clean Up' button under the 'System Restore and Shadow Copies' area to instantly delete all but the most recent System Restore point.

Turn Off System Protection: If you genuinely believe you have no need for both System Restore and Shadow Copies, you can disable System Protection altogether by going to the Windows Control Panel, opening System and clicking the 'System Protection' link in the left pane. Untick the relevant drive(s) for which you want this feature disabled and click Apply. It is not recommended that you disable this feature on your main Vista drive as System Restore in particular can be invaluable in allowing easy recovery after a bad driver install.

Restrict Drive Space for Restore Points & Shadow Copies: For those who value the added protection of System Restore and Previous Versions and don't want to disable it, you can instead force Vista to use less drive space for them. By default Vista will use up to 15% of your drive if required, however you can change this maximum by using the Vssadmin command. Open an Administrator Command Prompt (See the Vista Usage Notes chapter of the TGTC if you don't know how) and use the following command structure:

Vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=900MB

In the above example, the /For= switch determines the drive on which Vista resides, the /On= switch determines the drive on which your Shadow Copies and Restore Points reside (usually the same drive), and the /MaxSize= switch tells Vista the new maximum drive space allocated to System Protection (in MB) - note that the minimum allowed is 300MB. If you reduce the drive space allocated to this feature, you will also be limiting the number of Restore Points and Previous Versions Vista will keep - this could be a concern if you work with large files and/or make lots of changes often, so bear this in mind and calculate a reasonable limit that still allows this feature to do its job.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.