Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Comp!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

I'm getting a new comp once I'm done volunteering and cleaning up my old computer desk, and I was wondering if anyone can give me a general idea of what I should get. So basically I needa know whats a decent graphics card, good RAM, how much Harddrive space should I get that would be a decent amount without having too much extra space(because of the cost) and not enough space. Preferably a gaming/working computer. Thanks!
Really excited to play cz with you guys again too XD

| SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:08 am 
Splakking Spree

price range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

^ what he said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:58 pm 

around 1500$

| SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 am 
Head Cheerleader

well the video card i say a Geforce GTX 260, thats what i have now and it can run every game right now up to date on its highest settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

wonderbread2 wrote:
around 1500$

Are you building it, or do you want a pre-built one? Either way 1500 is ALOT these days for a computer, it will get you a top of the line setup and a nice monitor/keyboard/mouse.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 am 
OmG H4x !!!111one!!eleventyone!

What Cole said, 1,500 is a lot. Mine cost 400 and I can run every game out at near-full settings.. (that only included a tower though)

Get a quad core processor, with definitely 3.5 + ghz

4 gb DDR2 RAM will be just fine, and not too expensive... more if you really want.

I don't suggest liquid cooling personally, it's a pain in the ass all around, but it can work really nicely...

I don't know much about cards so listen to cole or gdogg about that one.

and Hard Drive space is just how much crap you plan on having... If you have a lot of files/music go for a 500 gb, but 320 should be more than enough.

What I just said shouldn't cost more than 1000... unless you buy stupidly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Yeah, water cooling is excessive, I only did it... to do it, ya know?

I would say get a good prebuilt computer if you know nothing about building. Alot of people overlook hard drive speed (not spindle speed, but true speed). Western Digital's 640gb drive is one of the fastest (no 10,000 rpm) drive out there, I have 2 of them in a raid 0 (double speed), and they fly.

For you, I would say get a nice quad core (45nm chip AMD or Intel), good hard drive, 4+gb of memory, an a good video card (GTX260 or higher), but you will really not get your money's worth unless you build it yourself.

You could always get something like this though:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=114

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

There is this thing I found for water cooling your processor. I personally don't know if it's any good.

http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/coolit-domino-a-l-c-water-cooling-kit/

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:22 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

I am not a fan of water cooling "kits" they typically cost the same or more than putting your own kit together. I bought a pump, a radiator, a reservoir (a T pipe will do the same thing), hoses, clamps, cpu block, northbridge block all in pieces, and it cools 2x as well, and has room for more (I could add gpu, hard drive, etc all to my loop).

Also if I want to switch to a Core I7, all I need to buy is a new 8buck mounting bracket and re-use all my other stuff. Which reminds me, I need to change my coolant on my computer pretty soon, its been pumping for a year and a half, no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 pm 

ColeLT1 wrote:
Yeah, water cooling is excessive, I only did it... to do it, ya know?

I would say get a good prebuilt computer if you know nothing about building. Alot of people overlook hard drive speed (not spindle speed, but true speed). Western Digital's 640gb drive is one of the fastest (no 10,000 rpm) drive out there, I have 2 of them in a raid 0 (double speed), and they fly.

For you, I would say get a nice quad core (45nm chip AMD or Intel), good hard drive, 4+gb of memory, an a good video card (GTX260 or higher), but you will really not get your money's worth unless you build it yourself.

You could always get something like this though:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=114

!st bolded spot, Can you briefly give me a general idea of what the difference is, if you have the time thanks! (I tried google >_<)
2nd bolded quote: The better the processor the better the computer runs?

Okay so far the things you guys are recommending me for my computer would be:

Graphics Card:GTX 260+
RAM: 4gb
Hard Drive: Probably 500gb
Processor: quad core processor, with definitely 3.5 + ghz This part of the computer really confuses me >_>
Water Cooling?: Seems to technical for a beginner like me XD

My concern is that my dads old fashioned, and prefers I don't buy things online, so if I were to buy a prebuilt one from let's say Best Buy or Future shop,do you guys think there might be a prebuilt computer that would have most of the things I would need?

Really appreciate the help guys !

| SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

You don't need water cooling, and no one makes a 3.5ghz quad core. You will be shooting for more like a 2.66-3.0 quad. Intel and AMD make a 3.2 (although mine is overclocked to 3.5).

Hard drive speed is normally show in RPMs (5400, 7200, 10000) but this is not a true representation of speed. MB/s is... its a hard drive, what does it do, it stores data, so what do you care, the rpm of the drive or how fast in megabites per second it sends and receives data...

But I really should of never brought this up, since you are not building your own computer you will have no choice of what brand drive goes in there.

Not one part makes a computer fast or slow, the slowest component is going to be your bottle neck, so when designing a computer you want equal components, and if you have to skimp on price, you want to go cheap on a part that goes out of date fast, and can be replaced easily (cough cough video card). The cpu, you will most likely never change, same with the hard drive (not for a long while), but you can buy a $100 video card now, get a couple of years out of it, then spend another $200 in 2 years and get one 5x as fast.

Every year or so processors get about 10-20% more powerful (clock for clock), but every year video cards normally double (or close 50-100% more powerful). So you want to build a good strong base computer, but not blow your budget on dumb parts that in a year will be outdated and beaten by a part half the cost. My computer will be competitive (play all games on full settings) for the next year or 2, then I will put another card in it and it will be ok for another year or 2.

As my computer sits:

45nm (penryn based) Core 2 quad (technically mine is a Xeon, but they are the same). 2.66ghz overclocked to 3.4 (moved it down from 3.5 for longer chip life).
8gb DDR2 1066 (Plenty, I can have 2 windows xp virtuals open, used 2gb each, and still have 2gb left over)
Dual 640gb Western digital Black edition drives raid 0
Geforce 9800GX2 (SLI-ed 9800gtx's)

The chip matches a 3.2 nehalem based Core I7 (not overclocked), which is the top chip out today, and cost $1000. The next chip coming out will be 32nm at the end of this year, and it will surpass my computer (and there are talks of matching AMD's 6core setup, with a Core I7 6 core, and possible 12 6+6 core).

My point is, if you build a computer, you can customize what you want out of it. If you buy a computer, we can help you find a good deal, maybe a cheap computer, then put a decent card in it, and it will get the job done for ~700 bucks, but its harder to pick the exact parts you want.

I would say get one of these chips and you will be happy:
Core2 Quad 2.66 or faster, and 12mb cache (needs to be a 45nm version)
Core I7 (any chip, the slowest is 2.66 and they are all 45nm)
Phenom II 3.0 or faster (all phenom IIs are 45nm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:31 pm 
Head Cheerleader

yea i wouldn't go with water cooling if u dont know a thing about, even though i have one, i dont know shit about it and if something happens i wont know what the hell is going on.

And with the chips that Cole said will definitely work. My opinion would go with a Core2 Quad 2.83ghz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:44 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

The best part about water cooling, is the computer does not collect dust near as bad, and even if it does get really really dusty, it still cools the important parts. I still dust it out about once a month, because I want it to run perfect, and the radiator does collect some dust (but its a triple sized radiator, and even if half of it was clogged it would still cool just fine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 pm 
OmG H4x !!!111one!!eleventyone!

yeah the water cooling is ehhh especially if you're not building... From best buy or something listen to cole and whoever else posted, they know what they're talking about.

But about processors, I have a 3.3 ghz core 2 duo... My brother bought it for me about a year and a half ago, and honestly, I don't know what brand :-/