Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CD rom drive
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:40 pm 
Splakking Spree

So I have 5 computers that are having some techincal issues. I'll name then A B C D and E.

Computer A: Is my computer. I unplugged my CD drive after I bought a new video card because there was no room for my card. The card is above the slot for my CD drive on the motherboard so there is no way I can get that in. I recently needed to use a CD so I man powered in the cable connecting to the power supply. At the time I was careless and forgot all about the cable leading to the motherboard and was wondering why my computer wasn't reading any disks. Moving on

Computer B: My brothers computer. He also had to unplug his CD drive for some reason but plugged it back in afterwards when he was done doing whatever he was doing. He then said his computer wasn't reading his CD's either. I thought he left one of his cables unplugged also so today I opened up his case and checked, but all the cables were in. So that makes me believe if I take out my video card to plug in the cable, then my computer still wont read my CD's.

Computer C: I asked my dad to bring home my old computer that he has at his work right now because I needed it for school. Instead he brought me 2 computers he had lieing around, Computer C and computer D. They are both very old computers, Windows 98. Before turning on the computer, I opened up the case and for some strange reason I saw that the CD drive was not connected to anything. So I plug it in to all 3 places (power supply and motherboard x2). I turned on the computer and it was doing some black screen thing and had some information and said press F1 to continue. One of the information that I noticed was "WARNING:Battery low 0.00V". I don't really know if the no battery thing is a problem though. I press F1 and computer starts up normally. I put in a CD and it doesn't read it(sounds like computer B). Sometimes when I turn on the computer, the light on the monitor will be orange and not green, like it's not connect to anything (because of the battery?), and sometimes it's fine. If the light is orange, I turn the computer off and on and it starts up normally.

Computer D: I open it up and everything looks fine on the inside. I turn it on and it starts fine but it will just show the background and nothing else. No toolbar, no icons, no right click availabe, no nothing. It just shows the background and you can't do anything.

Computer E: This computer is also really old, it was in my garage for a while. As I was carying the computer i heard something loose inside moving around and open it up. I see (im so bad at this) a small box looking thing (Which I think is the CPU's fan, it has 3 fans, 1 on the top and 2 on the sides.) not plugged into anything. It has 3 wires coming out of it; 1 is very small with 4 pin holes and I plugged it into the motherboard. The other 2 are 4 bigger pin holes that I connected to the power supply. I turn on the computer and nothing shows on the monitor, the light stays orange as if nothing is plugged into it.

I need atleast to fix atleast 1 computer, either C, D, or E and it has to have a working CD drive (Fixing Computer B's CD problem would be cool too). If someone can tell me how to fix 1 of them, that would be great. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:43 pm 
Splakking Spree

err, bump..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:12 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Sounds like your doing it wrong.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject: Re: CD rom drive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:03 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

chunky3 wrote:
Computer A: Is my computer. I unplugged my CD drive after I bought a new video card because there was no room for my card. The card is above the slot for my CD drive on the motherboard so there is no way I can get that in. I recently needed to use a CD so I man powered in the cable connecting to the power supply. At the time I was careless and forgot all about the cable leading to the motherboard and was wondering why my computer wasn't reading any disks. Moving on

Weird, I would have to see a picture of this, I dont see a video card blocking an IDE or SATA port, since the cables are flat, you can take out the card, hook up the IDE cable, then put the card back on.

chunky3 wrote:
Computer B: My brothers computer. He also had to unplug his CD drive for some reason but plugged it back in afterwards when he was done doing whatever he was doing. He then said his computer wasn't reading his CD's either. I thought he left one of his cables unplugged also so today I opened up his case and checked, but all the cables were in. So that makes me believe if I take out my video card to plug in the cable, then my computer still wont read my CD's.

He plugged it in wrong, see below

chunky3 wrote:
Computer C: I asked my dad to bring home my old computer that he has at his work right now because I needed it for school. Instead he brought me 2 computers he had lieing around, Computer C and computer D. They are both very old computers, Windows 98. Before turning on the computer, I opened up the case and for some strange reason I saw that the CD drive was not connected to anything. So I plug it in to all 3 places (power supply and motherboard x2). I turned on the computer and it was doing some black screen thing and had some information and said press F1 to continue. One of the information that I noticed was "WARNING:Battery low 0.00V". I don't really know if the no battery thing is a problem though. I press F1 and computer starts up normally. I put in a CD and it doesn't read it(sounds like computer B). Sometimes when I turn on the computer, the light on the monitor will be orange and not green, like it's not connect to anything (because of the battery?), and sometimes it's fine. If the light is orange, I turn the computer off and on and it starts up normally.

You said the "motherboard x2" which sounds like you took an IDE cable (PATA cable) which has 3 connectors on it, 2 at each end, and one about 2/3 down the cable, and hooked it all up wrong. 1 cable is for the board (the one all by itself) the other 2 are for any IDE device (cd rom or hard drive). Sounds like you plugged the motherboard end of the cable into your rom, then plugged the other 2 connectors to the board, which is backwards. Plug 1 end to the board, the other end to a device, leave the middle connector unplugged (unless you need 2 cd roms or something).

The battery warning is telling you the battery on the board is dead. The battery is there to save bios settings (and time) while a computer is unplugged, you can take a battery out of any of the other computers and put it in there, its the round watch battery, easy to change.

chunky3 wrote:
Computer D: I open it up and everything looks fine on the inside. I turn it on and it starts fine but it will just show the background and nothing else. No toolbar, no icons, no right click availabe, no nothing. It just shows the background and you can't do anything.

Re install operating system

chunky3 wrote:
Computer E: This computer is also really old, it was in my garage for a while. As I was carying the computer i heard something loose inside moving around and open it up. I see (im so bad at this) a small box looking thing (Which I think is the CPU's fan, it has 3 fans, 1 on the top and 2 on the sides.) not plugged into anything. It has 3 wires coming out of it; 1 is very small with 4 pin holes and I plugged it into the motherboard. The other 2 are 4 bigger pin holes that I connected to the power supply. I turn on the computer and nothing shows on the monitor, the light stays orange as if nothing is plugged into it.

Take a picture of this loose thing, then throw this computer away... lol

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject: Re: CD rom drive
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 pm 
Splakking Spree

ColeLT1 wrote:
chunky3 wrote:

You said the "motherboard x2" which sounds like you took an IDE cable (PATA cable) which has 3 connectors on it, 2 at each end, and one about 2/3 down the cable, and hooked it all up wrong. 1 cable is for the board (the one all by itself) the other 2 are for any IDE device (cd rom or hard drive). Sounds like you plugged the motherboard end of the cable into your rom, then plugged the other 2 connectors to the board, which is backwards. Plug 1 end to the board, the other end to a device, leave the middle connector unplugged (unless you need 2 cd roms or something).

The battery warning is telling you the battery on the board is dead. The battery is there to save bios settings (and time) while a computer is unplugged, you can take a battery out of any of the other computers and put it in there, its the round watch battery, easy to change.

Sorry, I explained it poorly the first time.

This cable is connecting the mother board and the cd rom.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50638629/C ... Cables.jpg

The 4-pin peripheral power cable is connecting the cd rom from the power supply.

This cable is connecting the motherboard and the cd rom. (top cable)
http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages ... -09442.jpg

This looks fine to me I don't really see where I messed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Shouldn't there be one IDE cable from motherboard to cd rom and a MOLEX connection from the power supply to the cd rom? why is there 2 cables from the motherboard going to the cd drive? There shouldn't be two cables going to the motherboard from the cd rom.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:53 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

So one of the cables from the CD drive is an IDE cable and the other is a......digital audio cable?

Quote:
I like to party, but I'm here for business.

Quote:
60% of the time it works every time.

Quote:
You dirty pirate hooker, I'm gonna send you back to whore island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Mav wrote:
So one of the cables from the CD drive is an IDE cable and the other is a......digital audio cable?

Yep what he said. Chunky, you do not need the smallest cable, that is for old dos based OS setups (dos, 3.1, 95, 98, etc) to connect your sound card directly to a cd rom to play an audio CD.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:17 pm 
Splakking Spree

oh ok.

The picture doesn't want to show on the monitor anymore. It used to only show up sometimes, but now it never does. Any ideas on how to fix this?