Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a new Power Supply!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 am 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

Hi all,

So just yesterday I bought CoD: MW 2 for the PC. Excited to go, I let it installed and loaded it up. As the initial movie sequence was rolling, I went upstairs to fix up a quick sandwich, only to return to a powered-off computer.

Everything else next to it was on: speakers, etc. So I moved my PC, stripped it to just it's power cord into a different outlet and, no success. After removing it's video card, sound card, and both hard drives I'm pretty sure the power supply has died on me. Every now and then when I would press the power button the whole system would flicker on for less than a second, but that's about it.

Anyways, I am really in need for a new one, asap! Only problem is I've never really dealt with PSUs before, so I'm not sure if there's a specific model I need? (e.g. with video cards its PCI vs AGP?)

The one I have now was still the same I got with my case. Pretty sure it's 500v - probably pushed it to its limit with my sound card, gtx260 and 3 hard drives.

Does any one have any recommendations on PSUs they've dealt with before? Keep in mind I think it needs to be somewhat more powerful that my old one. Also, do you think it would be a dreadful idea to get one off of best buy or microcenter? I really need one quick, so I'm desperate to running over to one and pick one up! But, obviously price/quality first.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

If you order one from newegg, this morning, its a crapshot if it will be in Friday or Monday....

But that being said, what do you want, a cheap "good enough" one, a nice mainstream one, or a high end future proof one? While you are answering that, I am going to go do some searching for some choices for you.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:45 am 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

A cheap to mainstream one. I don't think I'll be adding anything on my PC for awhile, so something that gets the job done is good enough for me, but on the other hand I want to make sure it gives a healthy amount of power throughout the system, just to make sure when I buy it, it lasts - if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

So cheapest that will get the job done right... got ya, Im on it, give me 15 minutes.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:36 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

$80 (-20 rebate)
OCZ 600w (I have this one, but the 700w version)
Has 2 PCIe power cords and 72 amps
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817341001

$150 (-20 rebate)
Seasonic 700w (seasonic and PCP&C are the some of the best out there)
Has 5 PCIe power cords and 72 amps
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151031

Corsair is new to the PSU business but they use the single rail design of the PC power and cooling PSU's and seem to be making some kick ass PSUs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

Just look at their raitings, I would suggest 650+ since single rail offers less power total (the 650 only has 52amps). The 12v amps is the limiting factor on PSU's today, NOT watts, they really need to rate them by amps. Your video card draws about 26amps, the rest of your system draws around 10 or less (CPU, usb, and memory draw on the 3.3 and 5v rails, so are not included).

So (if your computer has 2 PCIeX16 slots) you can buy a ~100 PSU now, and maybe buy a next gen video card in a year, and run your gtx260 as a physics only card, and a GTX360 as video and draw around a total of 50-60 amps MAX. I am doing the same thing, except replace the GTX260 with my 9800gx2. But if you have a 8800 or higher (which you do), you can re-use your graphics card as a dedicated physics on your next build :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:28 pm 
How Do I Spiderman??!??1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817371015

Microcenter

Don't be late for raid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:31 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Antec Earthwatts are good PSU's, I use them in alot of cheap PC builds... It is really hard to find a reliable cheap PSU, and earthwatts are one of the few ones I trust. There is one in the splak server, my moms computer, and about 25 other computers I built for my last job, never had one go out.

PCIe connectors: "1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin" so you are good there for your current setup.

They are a no frills PSU and tend to have semi-shorter cables (and I run longer cables in my cases so that I can run them behind the motherboard for a cleaner look and easier to work on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 pm 
Splakking Spree

I have the exact problem only that my pc works but everything else won't turn on. The keyboard freezes, the mouse doesn't work, the monitor works and is plugged in but nothing ever shows up. The light is turned on in my pc and everything is plugged in (double checked)... Also my power supply releases hot air.. IMO, with the knowledge i have it's the power supply.. If so, could you guys help me get one? I got a HP Pavilion a1268c..

^LOL
wonderbread wrote:
Randy wrote:
If you jailbreak it why would you need to buy guns?

wtf?

The Smashing Pumpkins wrote:
"If there is a god, I know he loves to rock"

Quote:
"Are you an illusion, or am I just getting stoned?"

Quote:
I’m gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yellow no good kiesta off my property, before I pump your guts full of led!–Angels with Dirty Faces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:52 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

could be the processor too^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

cursed sasuke wrote:
could be the processor too^

Or the board, or the memory, or the videocard... but sounds less like the PSU to me (since the PSU is working...)

Does the computer beep any, single beep, repeating beeps, flashing power light... anything???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:00 pm 
Splakking Spree

Oh yea, it beeps continuously for 2 and 1/2 seconds... every 11th beep or so is only 1.5 seconds and they are at 5 seconds intervals.. and i had it turn off on me and not start back up for hours yesterday -.- (It all started when my dad deleted every game from my pc.. before he did that it worked perfectly fine... and he's blaming the games for that now too....)

^LOL
wonderbread wrote:
Randy wrote:
If you jailbreak it why would you need to buy guns?

wtf?

The Smashing Pumpkins wrote:
"If there is a god, I know he loves to rock"

Quote:
"Are you an illusion, or am I just getting stoned?"

Quote:
I’m gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yellow no good kiesta off my property, before I pump your guts full of led!–Angels with Dirty Faces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:38 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Its a hardware issue, nothing to do with games (or any software). You need to go to google and search for something like this
"your computer model number" beep codes

Like so (but replace my model number with yours):
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... eep&aqi=g1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:09 pm 
Chuck Norris' Nuts (All 5 Of Them)

I hate those fucking beep codes :evil:

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
She is officially a member of the Itty bitty titty committee.

"Who controls the present controls the past. And, who controls the past controls the future" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:04 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

$25 for a 585watt psu This is just for a limited time (today). Its nothing to brag about, but it will get the job done, I am picking up one for a spare.