Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:48 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

I had a chance to test out the new Gelid extreme, and I am impressed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835426020

I have been using AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) for around 6 years and it has been the de-facto standard in the thermal paste world. Well about a year ago a startup company (gelid) released 1 single production, all they sold was their thermal paste, GC-1. It was pretty much the exact same thermal performance of AS5 (some cases 1c cooler), but has some great advantages. It is non conductive, meaning you don't have to worry about it shorting anything out if you spill some, or use too much. It is also non curing, meaning that you don't have to wait a week or so for it to start working its best. And finally it does not age, where AS5 needs to be replaced every few years due to drying out.

Those things alone made me switch, but now they have replaced it (first with GC-2) with GC extreme. I have not switched it on my water cooled computer yet, but I will test it out this weekend. I did test it out on a Core I7 computer I built last week for a friend. We ran it at 4.0ghz, hitting (on average) around 82-80-79-79 (temps for each core) on AS5, and one we switched, it lowered it to 75-73-71-71, which is a large drop, considering 84 is the max on that chip before it turns off the core until it drops temp. It also dropped idle from 41 to 35, which is also awesome. My computer runs around 48 on load (on water), and I am hoping for a 45 or so after changing it.

Yes it is more expensive, but a $20 tube will last you at least 20 computers, so its a 1 time purchase, by the time you run out of it, something better will be out. So if you build a new pc anytime, skip over the AS5 and go for the GCX.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 am 
Head Cheerleader

I use Cooler Masters Thermal Compound Paste.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:22 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

I put as5 on every computer in my house a few months ago, lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:16 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

VMAN wrote:
I put as5 on every computer in my house a few months ago, lol

That sucks, but there is nothing wrong with AS5, but there is a better alternative out now :)

This weekend we are taking apart both our PS3's and putting the GCX on them, just as preventative measures, I bet this stuff would fix all the Xbox360 issues.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:26 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

ColeLT1 wrote:
VMAN wrote:
This weekend we are taking apart both our PS3's and putting the GCX on them, just as preventative measures, I bet this stuff would fix all the Xbox360 issues.

I would do that but then I would void my warranty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:35 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Hm, I need this for my computer and video card.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:46 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

^ How do you put paste on a video card? Ill google it right now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:20 am 
Some kid.
Some kid.

A video card has a gpu...which is what the fan cools

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 am 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Which reminds me, Cole, Why don't you make a computer of of GPUS? You can make a supercomputer with 4 to 6 of those...

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:29 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

cornholio wrote:
Which reminds me, Cole, Why don't you make a computer of of GPUS? You can make a supercomputer with 4 to 6 of those...

GPGPU's are used for highly specific and highly repetitive stream processing, like 3d modeling, not for running a computer. All the GPU based supercomputers still have a board with traditional CPU to run the OS. http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_comp ... tions.html They are not much more than a PC with 4 video cards running CUDA (Nvidia's C based code).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

^ Too much for me to comprehend.