Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer build question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:22 pm 
1337 Hooker

Cole or anyone else who would know this... What would be the best gaming build for $3500? The best bang for this amount of buck?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:39 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

$3500 is in that price range where you can add on stuff that you don't "really" need, even my computer was under $2000!

I'm guessing you want it to be a gaming computer? Does case size matter? Water cooling? Can you handle a 100gig C drive if you also have a 2tb D drive?

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 am 
1337 Hooker

ColeLT1 wrote:
$3500 is in that price range where you can add on stuff that you don't "really" need, even my computer was under $2000!

I'm guessing you want it to be a gaming computer? Does case size matter? Water cooling? Can you handle a 100gig C drive if you also have a 2tb D drive?

Really, I'm looking to you for what the best build is for this amount of money. So pretty much whatever you think is the best you could advise for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:52 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Well, how about I spec out a computer that is the Max I would spend on one before you are just paying a lot more for small gains.

Also, water or air cooled (water will add another $400 to the cost and is a bunch of work to hook everything up, cutting tubes to length, etc). You can build an air cooled computer that will be just as good, water is just and extra wow factor plus lower load temps.

And for hard drive would you rather have:
1) 100gb SSD drive (280mb/s read and write) plus a 1.5-2tb D drive for storage = $550
2) 640gb western digital black edition (110mb/s) plus a 1.5-2tb D drive for storage = $230
2) 1.2tb (dual 640 drives RAID 0) (220mb/s read and wrtie) plus a 1.5-2tb D drive for storage = $300

Option 1 is faster and more reliable, but limited storage.
Option 2 is what I recommenced for a novice builder who is scared to run a raid 0
Option 3 is what I run, the most speed for the $$$, 10x the storage, but less reliable (back everything up to your D: drive every so often, but I have never had a RAID 0 crash personally).

A raid 0 is easy to set up, and with windows vista or 7 no drivers are needed to install the OS like with XP (with XP you have to use a floppy drive and its a pain). But with a raid 0 if one drive dies, you WILL lose all your data on the raid set (not your D drive).

You could always go with option 2, then buy a SSD later (that is what I am doing, 400 bucks for 100gigs is just too much for too little for me).

I bet if you build a top-of-the-line air cooled computer, with lots of space, tons of RAM, good case and cooling, nice video card it ill be ~1500-1800 max. If you really want a water cooled computer but don't want to build it, I can build it for you, but shipping is going to be expensive. All the current chips greatly benefit from overclocking, pretty much everything out you can get 15-25% more speed with very little tweaking.

If it was my money, I would build a AM3 motherboard, with the $300 amd 6 core chip (3.2/3.6ghz), 8gb ram, 2x640+2tb drives, ~300 video card (or if you hate ATI, get a cheaper card until Nvidia has something better out), large case with plenty of cooling, a nice cpu cooler, and overclock it to 3.5/3.9ghz. I bet all of that will be around 1500.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 am 
1337 Hooker

I chose the air cooled that's as good as water. I'm a firm believer in water not going good with electronics. I'm also paranoid.

640gb western digital black edition (110mb/s) plus a 1.5-2tb D drive for storage
The SSD could be bought later like you said.

ColeLT1 wrote:
If it was my money, I would build a AM3 motherboard, with the $300 amd 6 core chip (3.2/3.6ghz), 8gb ram, 2x640+2tb drives, ~300 video card (or if you hate ATI, get a cheaper card until Nvidia has something better out), large case with plenty of cooling, a nice cpu cooler, and overclock it to 3.5/3.9ghz. I bet all of that will be around 1500.

^ That sounds good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:51 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

lol the water in water cooling is not conductive so it doesn't mess up the electronics.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:00 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Yeah, but I doubt he is going to do any overclocking, much less the extreme overclocking that is where water cooling really helps out. If he decides he is simply not going to overclock, he could stick with the stock boxed AMD cooler as it will be good enough, or get a ~$50 cooler and have his chip temps about 10c lower.

I can spec everything (else) out now, but use it as a estimate. The processors are not set to release until later this month (27th maybe), so I would rather wait another 2 weeks then make this final parts list. Then I want to also see what is needed to make the boards see the new chip (ie, will it simply not boot until you stick a old chip in it and update the bios, or will it boot up and let you flash the bios).

But first up, what case do you want?
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... uter-Cases

I would suggest for a "gamer" case the HAF (chose 1, they are all the same except paint jobs, except the one that comes with the power supply, which not a good deal).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

Or for a more professional look the antec 183:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129061

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Wraith wrote:
ColeLT1 wrote:

Really, I'm looking to you for what the best build is for this amount of money. So pretty much whatever you think is the best you could advise for me.

You send me $3500.00, I'll mail you the most fucking awesome gaming rig you've ever seen.

Fucking count on it.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:03 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

bob wrote:
Wraith wrote:
ColeLT1 wrote:

You send me $3500.00, I'll mail you the most fucking awesome gaming rig you've ever seen.

Fucking count on it.

Then put the other $1800 in your pocket. :lol:

But yeah, if auto sent me 3500, I would really really have a tough time spending it all on a computer, but it would have dual Sandforce based SSD in a raid 0, dual 2tb drives in a raid 1, dual video cards (5870s), a high end sound card/Network card, full custom water cooling (just like mine), corsair obsidian 800d case, replace every fan with full liquid bearing fans (quiet), put a fan controller on it, 6 core Intel Core I7 ($1000 chip) overclocked to 4.2, 12gb ram, dvd burner, blue ray drive, 32inch monitor, mechanical keyboard, and a razer deathadder mouse :) And maybe all of that may exceed $3500 (but 1000 for the chip and 800 for the 2 SSD's and 800 for the video cards is just dumb).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:42 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Just to get a estimate on prices, here is a quick list (this will change when you decide to buy) first figure out what case you want (my post 3 above this one).

Case:
$160

CPU:
$300

HD5850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131351
$300

640gb hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136319
$75

2000gb hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136514
$140

8gb DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231314
$350

Asus AM3 mobo with USB3 and SATA6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131631
$145

750watt Corsair PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139006
$109

= $1579 + shipping - rebates

Memory can be dropped from 8gb to 4gb for a savings of about $250, but with this setup you have room to expand to 16gb in the future (or never worry about adding RAM).

This price does NOT include windows (another $100ish for win7 but you may be able to get a copy somewhere).

This is the computer I would build for myself if I was doing an air cooled computer right now (except I would add a better cpu cooler and overclock the computer). When its all said and done you will have a computer very similar to the power of mine (more powerful video card, weaker hard drive speed, and about the exact same cpu speed, but I have 4 of them, while you will have 6). Or you could buy my computer :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm 
1337 Hooker

Alrighty thanks! I've got the help I needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Are you actually building a computer, or just wanted to see how much (or to prove to someone how much, etc)?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

ColeLT1 wrote:

Then put the other $1800 in your pocket. :lol:

Shhhh..... ;)

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:38 pm 
Head Cheerleader

These are the most expensive components for your pc:

Memory:6 GB DDR3-2000 Memory Module

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 980X Processor Extreme Edition (6x 3.33GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
The First 6-Core CPU - Highest Performing Desktop Processor

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5970 - 2GB

but I'm just listing the best out right now, which honestly you really dont need any of these this generation and for the graphics card i would go with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 2GB(which they just made)...the 5970 is like $400 more than the 5870-2gb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 am 
1337 Hooker

ColeLT1 wrote:
Are you actually building a computer, or just wanted to see how much (or to prove to someone how much, etc)?

No I have some money saved up and I have a two year old computer. There's nothing wrong with it really, but I have to use lower settings on new games coming out. I was using your stats to compare to some computers being offered from AAFES distributors. Surprisingly, they offer some pretty awesome computers (Your recommendations) minus the good cases and at the most competitive price available anywhere.