Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 pm 
The British One
The British One

This problem has been posted to BleepingComputer too, which some of you may heard of.

A while back, My laptop (Which Sister was borrowing) motherboard/something fried, and I never really got round to fixing it. So I took the HD out and placed it into a External Case which she has been using ever since. I've recently just got it back, and for some odd reason I'm unable to actually connect it to my computer(Or locate it) via the two front USB ports. I am hoping to use this by the end of this week as I will be needing it when visiting family (Otherwords, keeping ahead of college assignments whilst visiting)

So, here is basically what I am getting, and what I have tried so far to try and fix the problem.

I know that the External HD is connecting to the computer as I'm hearing the sounds for connected and disconnected.

I've got into Device Manager to locate the HD, which I have found - unfortunately it's called Disk Drive, which from what I remember, that is not the name. I also repeated this on another Laptop that I have, and it's coming up with a name (Don't have the name on me, but if needs be can retrieve asap). When looking at the device status, it says that "No Drivers are installed for this device" <- Not too sure whether that could basically be the problem, however I don't believe I installed drivers when I first connected to this computer when I officially made it an External HD.

I've gone into Computer Management to see whether it would have came up under Disk Management or Removable Storage - again, this failed.

I looked at the Event Reviewer and found two warnings for Removable Storage Services which has given this description;

"The device number of a(n) disk drive cannot be determined. This device failed to configure. This event may be logged several times for the same device."

I've also just noticed when posting this that in Device Manager, under Storage Volumes, "Generic Volume" has a yellow symbol, which means (I believe) theres an error or the driver isn't updated. I tried doing a scan hardware changes, but this tends to just crash the program, it has also done this to the Disk Drive which I mentioned I saw in DM.

Edit #1

An icon has appeared on My Computer as G:\ - when trying to open it, I get this error; "G:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location"

If anyone could help me fix this problem, it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

First, try it on another computer.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Cole,

He said he tried it on another laptop.

Storm, Do you need the data that is already on it? Can you just format it, and start over? That would be the simplest solution.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 pm 
The British One
The British One

Would preferable prefer to keep any data which is on it, but if not, it's not a problem I don't think. Not sure how I would be able to format it if I'm unable to find it as such.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Sorry, I missed that.

Like Chris said, if there is nothing on it that you need, you can format it, or even re-partition it (may be needed since disk mgmt says its f-ed), but this will wipe it. There is a chance that nothing is wrong with the drive, could be the external enclosure.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 pm 
The British One
The British One

How would I go about reformatting the external HD? Can't figure out a way of doing it.

Edit:

Quick update, I decided to go to Device Manager, go to the Disk Drive and Uninstalled the "driver" - From this, i've been able to locate it within Computer Management:
Attachment:
hmm.JPG
hmm.JPG [ 37.6 KiB | Viewed 6740 times ]

Also been able to find the actual name of the external HD: Initio INIC-1511 USB device

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 pm 
1337 Hooker

ColeLT1 wrote:
There is a chance that nothing is wrong with the drive, could be the external enclosure.

Like Cole said, I've had two hard drives in the past that have tried to take away my downloaded data; I said, "Fuck yo couch Mybook!" I broke open the case like a barbarian and put the drive in one of them cases with a fan, and Bam! Good as gold son. I don't dick around when it comes to losing my shizz. Fo real.