Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:19 am 
The British One
The British One

Nevermind about the above post.

I decided to just go for it and I reformatted how I would usually go about it but it seems like I didn't need reinstall any drivers, like they were already there. Unless I just reformatted incorrectly.

huh, who knows.

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:55 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Just because it installed drivers, does not mean that it installed drivers from the past 4 years.

For all intel re-installs, especially with a SSD. Make sure in bios you are set to a SATA mode is set to RAID or AHCI (somtimes called SATA mode), but NOT "legacy" or "ATA" or "IDE" mode. And pluged into the intel controller (not jmicron or something). To push the "Trim" command and to enable NCQ, it has to be in one of those modes. NCQ allows the controller to work much better with faster drives, and Trim is like SSD defrag. If you are in a non sata mode and your bios supports it, its worth switching to and re-installing.

Once up and running go to intel.com and get the newest INF drivers, and SATA drivers for your board.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
Product family
Chipsets
Product line
Desktop Chipsets
Product name
Intel® 5 Series Chipset

and

Products

Product family
Chipsets
Product line
Chipset Software
Product name
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
10.​8.​0.​1003

Then download: http://elpamsoft.com/Downloads/SSDTweaker.zip
Run the auto tweak, tell it no, don't buy pro.

Download newest video drivers for your graphics card from nvidia.com

Windows updates

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:31 pm 
The British One
The British One

Quote:
For all intel re-installs, especially with a SSD. Make sure in bios you are set to a SATA mode is set to RAID or AHCI (somtimes called SATA mode), but NOT "legacy" or "ATA" or "IDE" mode. And pluged into the intel controller (not jmicron or something). To push the "Trim" command and to enable NCQ, it has to be in one of those modes. NCQ allows the controller to work much better with faster drives, and Trim is like SSD defrag. If you are in a non sata mode and your bios supports it, its worth switching to and re-installing.

So, I've just looked around in BIOS for SATA Mode, but I've came across these. I'm not sure which is which, or what is what.

BIOS Main Menu
>Integrated Peripherals
Raid Mode: IDE
>>On-Chip ATA Devices

I have options; IDE, Raid & AHCI on both of them. Do I need to change them both for Trim and NCQ or am I looking at the wrong section?

What do you mean by "plugged into Intel Controller, not JMicron?

Thanks for the help Cole.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:04 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

$torm wrote:
Quote:

So, I've just looked around in BIOS for SATA Mode, but I've came across these. I'm not sure which is which, or what is what.

BIOS Main Menu
>Integrated Peripherals
>>On-Chip ATA Devices

I have options; IDE, Raid & AHCI on both of them. Do I need to change them both for Trim and NCQ or am I looking at the wrong section?

What do you mean by "plugged into Intel Controller, not JMicron?

Thanks for the help Cole.

Some motherboards have multiple controllers, you can tell because the SATA ports will be different colors, but yours looks to not be like this.

For the ATA devices, set to AHCI. You will have to reinstall windows. I'm guessing the other one is for your PATA (ribbon style connector), but it should only have 2 options, IDE/RAID, but either way, its the SATA one that needs to be on AHCI.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 pm 
The British One
The British One

Going to ask some more random and most likely stupid questions. Hopefully you'll be able to help me out again Cole (Or whoever else)

I think I've been over-reading on everything it has slightly confused me, so I'm hoping I'll explain what I think is right, and it is or isn't you'll be able to let me know.

I currently have my SSD HDD in SATA1_2 and my 1tb HDD in SATA3_4 - These are supported by Intel P55 (Im assuming this is the 'Intel Controller' you mentioned? I also have spare the SATA5_6 & SATA7 which is supported by JMicron JMB363 (Which I believe I SHOULDNT use)

I've heard that if I want to change to AHCI I need to edit the registry possibly to allow me to boot afterwards into Windows, or is the purpose of changing from IDE to AHCI and then reinstalling windows to bypass the need to edit the registry?

Is it worth changing BOTH Raid Modes to AHCI (See pics below) and if I do change them, will there be anything else I may need to edit that could possibly come up? ie AHCI/Sata Configurations?

Attachment:
CMOSRaid.png
CMOSRaid.png [ 22.94 KiB | Viewed 12350 times ]

Attachment:
CMOSRaid2.png
CMOSRaid2.png [ 9.54 KiB | Viewed 12350 times ]

Sorry for being a right pain in the back side Cole!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

$torm wrote:
I currently have my SSD HDD in SATA1_2 and my 1tb HDD in SATA3_4 - These are supported by Intel P55 (Im assuming this is the 'Intel Controller' you mentioned? I also have spare the SATA5_6 & SATA7 which is supported by JMicron JMB363 (Which I believe I SHOULDNT use)

Correct, the Intel P55 is the controller you want to use. The extra sata JMicron ports work fine for CD/DVD or extra hard drives, but they go across a much slower interface (like half the SSD speed).

$torm wrote:
I've heard that if I want to change to AHCI I need to edit the registry possibly to allow me to boot afterwards into Windows, or is the purpose of changing from IDE to AHCI and then reinstalling windows to bypass the need to edit the registry?

Yes, the re-install is the "right" way to do it, the other way is more of a hack, and may not ever be stable, or get full speed out of it.

$torm wrote:
Is it worth changing BOTH Raid Modes to AHCI and if I do change them, will there be anything else I may need to edit that could possibly come up? ie AHCI/Sata Configurations?

I set all mine to RAID, this way if you ever want to use RAID, its there, no re-install of windows needed. RAID mode is the same as AHCI but with more features, it should be called AHCI+RAID. That being said I don't think you will ever need RAID, so go for AHCI if you want. I would set EVERYTHING to AHCI (or RAID). Then install windows to the SSD (I always unplug all my other spare drives, because sometimes windows will write system files to other drives, and if you have to remove them in the future, your computer will not boot), after installing windows to the SSD hook up any secondary drives and make sure they all work under the AHCI mode. If one drive does not work, you can try setting it to IDE mode (on the jmicron or something). All SATA drives (that I know of) support AHCI.

The only time you have to re-install windows is if you change the mode of the controller that is connected to your boot (C:\) drive. All the other drives or other controllers you can change anytime, as long as your boot drive is not dependent on them.

$torm wrote:
Sorry for being a right pain in the back side Cole!

No problem at all! Ask away.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm 
The British One
The British One

Finally got round to reinstalling windows and changing my bits to AHCI.

Can you just let me know if this looks right on my controllors via Device Manager?

Attachment:
isthisright.jpg
isthisright.jpg [ 95.79 KiB | Viewed 12304 times ]

Thanks!

Edit:

I also followed your little section above where you mentioned Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, 10.8.0.1003... The one I found for this is Intel® Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver Diskettes, which I'm assuming is right, but I'm not too sure how to install this but it seems like I was meant to do this when I was installing windows as I only have access to the following;

iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
iaStor.sys, and
TxtSetup.oem.

Can you help with this?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

$torm wrote:
I also followed your little section above where you mentioned Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, 10.8.0.1003... The one I found for this is Intel® Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver Diskettes, which I'm assuming is right, but I'm not too sure how to install this but it seems like I was meant to do this when I was installing windows as I only have access to the following;

iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
iaStor.sys, and
TxtSetup.oem.

Can you help with this?

All the screenshots look right :)

For the driver, don't get the "F6 Drivers" those are for use while installing windows (like on winxp) and are only the actual drivers. Get the full driver file and it will be a single executable file.
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 100.67 KiB | Viewed 12297 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:35 am 
The British One
The British One

Oh man. I did look a few times to make sure there wasn't another 10.8.0.1003 version, but couldn't see it. Think next time I'm going to just to the Ctrl+F function to check!

Thanks for all the help Cole; apperciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 am 
The British One
The British One

So, I got Ghost Recon Future Soldier yesterday. I've tried playing it both on my SSD and Mechanical HD and both have lags/jolts/slow moments/freezes - this is on the low graphic specs in-game... Looks like I'm going to need to get a new card... Any recommendations? I was looking at the one you mentioned Cole, the Nvidia GTX460 as they seem to be really cheap (£100~)

I done a few browsing on two sites I use - Novatech (Local Store) and Ebuyer.com... The GTX560 and 460 seem to be around the same prices, theres not too much in it... I saw the post you done a few months back discussing what ones are better, and the 560 was above the 460.

I'm currently looking at this one;
http://www.ebuyer.com/267865-gigabyte-g ... n56goc-1gi
(I believe this is the same card as above- http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... c-1gi.html)

I've seen different types though like the one above is an "oc edition" and the one below is a "Ti"

http://www.ebuyer.com/254405-asus-gtx-5 ... i-2di-1gd5

(Again, I believe this is the same as above -
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... i1gd5.html
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... 63-kr.html)

What are the differences essentially?

----

I was also looking at these two GTX460's if I had to go for one in-case.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... 63-kr.html
http://www.ebuyer.com/344798-evga-01g-p ... p3-1363-kr

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:37 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

The GTX460 was the first one, it was 336 cores, it actually has 384 really, but 1 of the 8 clusters are disabled, for yield reason (chips have defects, this allows them to disable the defective cores, if any, and still make tons of cards). And when I speak of GTX460, I am talking about the full version (336 cores, 256bit, 1gb ram) there are some cut down versions too (192bit, and SE cards with less cores). Then they released the full unlocked card with all cores enabled, GTX560ti, then sold the cut down one as the 560 (not ti). The non-TI 560 = 460

So:
GTX460 1GB 336 Cores 256bit memory
GTX560 1GB 336 Cores 256bit memory
GTX560ti 1GB 384 Cores 256bit memory

Typically the 460 and 560 match each other, while the 560ti may give you 5% more fps (like 50fps -> 53fps).

The other difference is clock speed. The slowest you will see is 715mhz, the fastest will be close to 900mhz. FPS increases with clock speed, so the faster the mhz card you are buying, the more fps. Every single 460 and 560 will do at least 850mhz+ if you overclock. So you can buy the cheapest 460 or 560, and overclock it to like 850 and be done.

Also, each brand has a different chip cooler and fan setup, but any will suffice.

I was selling my two 460s but since the 6 series is stupid priced, I bought another 460 on ebay 2 weeks ago, and will be running 2 460s again, which will play any game out, maxed out on full settings (at 1080p). If you have a board that will do SLI, and a PSU that is >700watts, I think 2 460s for about $200-250 is a awesome buy, since it keeps up with the $400 setups. Then even a year or two from now, you can still get like 75-100 for used 460s and get most of your money back, while a $400 card will be worth 200 next year.

This is the one that looks to be the fastest mhz for the price, but the TI cards will be slightly faster:
http://www.ebuyer.com/344798-evga-01g-p ... p3-1363-kr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am 
The British One
The British One

Thanks for the information, Cole.

It looks like I will go for the Evga GTX460... I would have gone for two like you mentioned, but my PSU is only 550W (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/CA-201-CM_400.jpg) but it does seem like my computers mobo can handle 2x Sli (- If two graphics cards are installed at PCI_E2 & PCI_E4 slots, these two PCIE x16 lanes will auto arrange from x16/ x0 to x8/ x8
- supports ATI® Crossfire™ & NVIDIA SLI - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55-GD65. ... div=Detail)

The price isn't an issue anymore as I'm in full-time employment with good pay for my age, so if there is any other g-cards that you'd recommend in purchasing, send them my way and I'll go for it. Would it be more advisable for me to get a new PSU which is >700w and then get two 460s? I mean I'm hoping that it would only set me back £300 give or take, but if it gives me a more playable atmosphere graphical wise, i'm all for it.

I've found an Cosair 850w PSU for £119 - http://www.ebuyer.com/164951-corsair-85 ... -850hxuk... Hoping this would fit my case. Purchasing x2 460's and the PSU it'll cost me around £365 ($573.90) which is equivalent to purhasing a gtx580.

Edit: Am I definitely right this is the same as the one you recommended last post Cole? http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... 63-kr.html

If it is, i'll go with Novatech as i'll save myself £20 and I'll be able to get it today.

P.S - I really should be paying you $$ for the help you give me on parts I don't understand!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:21 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

I have the 950 watt version and non-modular version of that PSU (great psu). The modular one is great to have because you will not have a case full of wires, just hook up the ones you need, keep the rest in the box.

That 460 you linked is a slower one (763MHz Core). But they are all the same chip, if you want to turn it up I can teach you how, very easy with the free msi-afterburner program, which I recommend anyway for adjusting fan settings.

After saying all that... if you are going to spend $300, SKIP THE 460/560 CARDS, and get a 6 series. I would be on a 6 series right now, but here they start in the 400-500 price range, but 300 for you!

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... eries/?o=1
These cards without a doubt will match or beat 2 460s, with the same heat and power draw as one, and all work on your current psu (and you could add a 2nd one and a new psu down the road if wanted). I sorted by price, and I would look at 3 factors, price, fans, and core speed (they all have boost, just look at the base speed), I would either get the cheapest, and not worry about it, or get one with a better cooler, either way they will get almost the same fps and temps.

The improvement will be night and day over your current setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 am 
The British One
The British One

Thanks Cole, I'll just go for a 670 then either - http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... 70-kr.html or http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... c-2gd.html @ £309 - $484 or £329 @ $516~

I'll get one or the other today and hope to god it works! I'm sure i'll get to upgrade my PSU sooner or later, as i'll be 50w off the minimum it needs for the GPU.

Can't thank you enough for the help Cole. If you need anything from the UK and need it shipped, i'm sure we can work something!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Not a problem at all, either of those cards look good, I would love to have those over my dual 460 cards. The 670 is a beast of a card, talking crysis maxed out across 2 screens each at 1080p resolution beast.