Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 am 
Pwn Noobies, GG

Been a fan of AIC for a long time, but I've never been able to see them live b/c Layne Staley OD'd/died in '02 when I was in 6th grade...probably going to end up seeing them this summer in DC. For anyone near DC, the DC101 Chili Cookoff looks like it'll be pretty good this year minus Anberlin and Switchfoot: http://www.dc101chilicookoff.com/main.html

Anyway, what do you all think of the new AIC?

Personally I was kinda skeptical at first, because the guy they got to replace Layne (William DuVall) didn't look like he fit in at all, but I think he's actually pretty damn good now that I watched some live videos on youtube. Downloaded the new CD a few months ago. Sounds like old AIC for the most part (good). I really don't dislike any of the songs on the album although some songs sound like Jerry Cantrell solo matierial...lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

I think they are awesome, and most older people (who like AIC will say the same). Yes you can never replace Staley, but the truth is, they never toured much, they were a studio band, simply because Staley was so heavy into smack from the get-go, that he could not go on tour... so in that sense (as a touring/live show band) they are BETTER than before, but their studio stuff... we will see if they are an one album attempt or if they can push out new stuff.

Most people (not talking about you) also do not realize that Cantrel was the other half of the lead singer in the group, many songs he was the lead. They found a person who has a voice who matches up with Cantrel in a great way. I also have heard our local rock station DJ say that their recent concert he went to, was one of the best he ever went to, so that has to mean something.

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1aUu5FDfDY&fmt=18

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm 
Pwn Noobies, GG

ColeLT1 wrote:
I think they are awesome, and most older people (who like AIC will say the same). Yes you can never replace Staley, but the truth is, they never toured much, they were a studio band, simply because Staley was so heavy into smack from the get-go, that he could not go on tour... so in that sense (as a touring/live show band) they are BETTER than before, but their studio stuff... we will see if they are an one album attempt or if they can push out new stuff.

Most people (not talking about you) also do not realize that Cantrel was the other half of the lead singer in the group, many songs he was the lead. They found a person who has a voice who matches up with Cantrel in a great way. I also have heard our local rock station DJ say that their recent concert he went to, was one of the best he ever went to, so that has to mean something.

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1aUu5FDfDY&fmt=18

I agree for the most part, and I think the MTV unplugged show was one of the last ones with Layne. However... I think they actually did do a decent amount of touring for Facelift and Dirt before Layne's addiction really took over. But yeah, if you watch some of the live shows from the Facelift era Layne's voice is fucking amazing, and today DuVall is doing a pretty decent job to the point where you could compare how he sings now to how Layne sang back in the early 90s.

Btw, interestingly enough, Mike Starr (original AIC bassist) is on that stupid Sober House VH1 show right now. Can't stand the show (I don't think anyone actually gets real help from that kind of thing...the "patients" seem to leave all the time, probably to get high and then come back lol) but I've just been watching it cause Mike Starr is on it really. Always thought Mike Starr wasn't technically as good as Mike Inez but his style was pretty cool. Can't really describe it but it seemed like some of the "heaviness" was lost when Inez joined. Might or might not be related to Inez's bass playing but... yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm 
1337 Hooker

I love AIC. They are my favorite band. I think Cantrel Was a good pick for a new singer of the band, but his singing isn't as angst and true as Layne's was during the Grunge movement. I still like him, it's just that he is not the same.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 am 
Pwn Noobies, GG

Wraith wrote:
I love AIC. They are my favorite band. I think Cantrel Was a good pick for a new singer of the band, but his singing isn't as angst and true as Layne's was during the Grunge movement. I still like him, it's just that he is not the same.

I think you mean DuVall - Cantrell has always been on backup vocals/guitar. :p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:10 pm 
1337 Hooker

Oh yeah, sorry, I got those two mixed up. Duvall was who I was thinking of.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:34 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

Is that guy on the left(our left) the celebrity rehab guy?Heard of the band, not their music but are they purposely singing out of tune on this song or they sound better on cd? It's bothering me

Quote:
goldlessbassist
why did the 80s have to end? ...

lee9340
they ran out of quality drugs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:14 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
Heard of the band, not their music but are they purposely singing out of tune on this song or they sound better on cd? It's bothering me

"The band is known for its distinct vocal style which often included the harmonized vocals of Staley and Cantrell." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Chains

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU&fmt=18

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTQ7xlFFA8&fmt=18

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs&fmt=18

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D37POA11KY&fmt=18

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:30 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

i seeee

Quote:
goldlessbassist
why did the 80s have to end? ...

lee9340
they ran out of quality drugs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:16 pm 
Pwn Noobies, GG

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
Is that guy on the left(our left) the celebrity rehab guy?Heard of the band, not their music but are they purposely singing out of tune on this song or they sound better on cd? It's bothering me

This is the celebrity rehab guy, Mike Starr: Image
Mike Starr is their original bassist..he's not in the band anymore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:39 pm 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

<- Will always be an AiC fan. Although I will say the "feel" of their music back with Layne I enjoyed much more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:20 pm 
1337 Hooker

Display wrote:
<- Will always be an AiC fan. Although I will say the "feel" of their music back with Layne I enjoyed much more.

Yes, Yes. I agree completely. I mean look how Iconic he is; the essence of grunge.

YouTube Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GLFsZ9QWfo&fmt=18