Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Servers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:25 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Nothing set in stone, but been playing around with this idea for a while and I am in the process of working something out with a former client of mine, who has a server room with plenty of bandwith, here is my plan, I hope to talk to him next week to work things out, and I will setup a test server to see how it works, if everything is good (pings and such), I will build a server box just for Splak. He actually told Chris the other day he would charge me nothing, just as long as he can throw some stuff on there too, sweet!

I may get Vman and Storm (or whoever has had source server experience) to help me out with the source side of things if they can, may setup ftp access for them to upload everything needed, or they can send me copies of their old servers (like if you saved a copy of your tf2 server on your drive somewhere) and I can do it (I would rather get extra people involved so if I am out of town someone else knows how to restart, or make changes).

I will probably buy fireDaemon Pro http://www.firedaemon.com/purchase-firedaemon.php because I actually used the free version on the very first splak server back in the day, what it does is allow you to run any application as a background service, which you can set to keep running (auto restart in case of server crash) and let me program in weekly restarts and such.

The games on my list that I want to run are

+CZ 32 slots awesome house of awesomeness
-CZ 32 slots of ???? (maybe traditional maps)
+Tribes 32 slots (hell yeah, return of splak tribes)
-CS source Zombie mod 32 slots
+CS source w/nipper pack + any other good maps.
+TF2 32slots

(the "+" games will be phase 1, the "-" games will be phase 2 of this project if all goes according to plan)

All the source games I can make up to 64 in the future, we will have to see how well it scales (how much cpu usage and ram usage), I think I am going to use my current quad core test rig for this (install a few of them at my house first) to see if a high speed dual core vs a quad core will run multiple servers better (since they are services I think the quad is a better choices because they will be different threads, if single thread, dual core will be my choice).

If all this goes well and we hit a bandwidth limit of the place, or just have issues with them, I may rent some rack space somewhere and just mail them my server and continue from there, but the place has a 10mb/10mb fiber connection. 10,000/8(bits to bytes)/4(kb/s per user average) = 312 slots = nine 32 slot servers :) I think we will be fine.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:29 pm 
Splakking Spree

DAYUM!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:39 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

I just splakked a little.

It's kinda like fight club. First rule about recruitment, don't talk about recruitment. 2nd rule is do NOT talk about recruitment.

Reaper wrote:
PAIL 2 DA MAX!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Oh, I would like to help with source server and what not. Anyway, that sounds awesome.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:51 pm 
Splakking Spree

that awesome!

maybe a surf and climbing server aswell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:54 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

I think I will make a direct copy of the CZ server, get it up and running first (just will have a different name, like Splak|Test server). Then do the same for TF2, then redirect everyone from the pub to my test server whenever I feel like its ready, then just every month or so add another server and see how the computer handles it We can try whatever we want 1.6, surf/climib etc.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

I can help you out setting up hl1 based servers, I ran my own server and had fun with it, if you can get me remote, you and I can get it all setup in a weekend or two.

BTW, DONT get firedaemon, save the money and get http://serverdoc.com/

I used serverdoc to automatically restart my server, it even has a webpanel feature.

Sounds cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:56 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

BTW, didnt backup the tf2 =/ but im sure i backed up the surf server somewhere, if not i can still start from scratch as it was really buggy anyways

&& i want to see a pic of the machine, just curious of what the beast looks like :D

&& i have plenty of web space, i could make a directory JUST for this dedicated for fastdl and other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:00 pm 
Chuck Norris' Beard

Im pretty good with hl1 games but don't mind spending time re-learning hl2 based servers.

"He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic..."

After I'm gone your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:41 pm 
Chuck Norris' Nuts (All 5 Of Them)

Great news!

I think its cool that splak is getting into tf2, css, and another cz server :D

Hope everything works out

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
She is officially a member of the Itty bitty titty committee.

"Who controls the present controls the past. And, who controls the past controls the future" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:04 am 
1337 Hooker

Dod source plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh god! PLZ!

I BEG!

(you know your my skinny rockin english brother right reaper?)

bob wrote:
I'm picking up my toys and going home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:25 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

sounds very cool. Im ready for that css server :) good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:25 am 
The British One
The British One

I would help, but VMAN always done my servers. All I know what to do, is setup admin and probably add mods.

But either way.

THATS SO AWESOME. I can't wait, great idea.

Just wondering, what is Tribes?

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:24 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Tribes is a deathmatch and ctf based, jetpack fps, old but fast and fun. Vman, the server will be very basic looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 am 
The British One
The British One

Is Tribes this -

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill