Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp? ... 211&S=1045

Got a Dual 2.0ghz Opteron 246 (same as two 2.0 amd 64 single core) and a board for $50 bucks shipped. I know its not great, but it will be a good 3x performance boost from the 2.2ghz Athlon XP we currently use.

I will have to get a case, some memory, and a PSU see how does. My budget is $200 for this, so I have to go cheap. Another good part about this, is I can stick dual 2.8ghz dual core chips in there, and almost tripple the power of it at any time (but it will cost about $300 to do that).

So over the next month or so I will update the progress of the server, but prepare for multiple modded L4D servers, and space for L4D2 servers as soon as it comes out.

What I am looking for is the cheapest DDR400 ECC memory I can find, the more the better, since newegg has it for 50ish per gig, I may start out with 2gb at first, unless I can find a shit ton for cheap, supports up to 8 4gb chips (32GB).

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:54 pm 
OmG H4x !!!111one!!eleventyone!

i got cases left and right ill take some pics

you lock my shit before i feel i made my point ill just make another post
you lie to me you act like your hot shit and if you think your better than me
ill fuck with your shit

you try and fuck with me your get fucked back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:37 pm 
Hung Like Chuck Norris

this sounds badass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:05 pm 
Head Cheerleader

awesomeee
thanks cole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Im still undecided on what I want to do, I have 3 options:

1) Continue this project as is, board was $50, I found 2 2.8ghz dual core socket 940 opterons on ebay for 160. I also found 8 1gb ECC memory sticks for 120. Will also have to buy 2 cpu coolers (20 bucks), a case, and a power supply. Now the biggest "oh shit" moment of this is going to be answered when I get the board in, will it fit into any standard case (aka not a rack mount expensive ass case) (case + psu = 100 if it will fit in atx).
Total = 430 for 2 dual core 2.8s and 8gb ram (server grade hardware)

2) Buy a case/psu (100), cheap amd am3 board (100), PhenomII quad 3.2 (200), and 4gb ram (50), upgrade memory when needed.
Total = 450 for quad core 3.2 (2 generations newer than option 1, so a good bit more power)

3) Upgrade my home pc with core I7 hardware and ram, buy a case/psu and move my Quad Xeon 3.4ghz 8gb over to the server.
Total = 700 (Most powerful server option, and I get a new home computer out of the deal but alot of money).

I guess I will know when I get the board in the mail.

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

I think we could give option 1 a shot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:42 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

VMAN wrote:

If the board fits into a antec case, im up for it. The PSU has to have a 24 & 8 pin connector (has to be EPS12v) too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

ColeLT1 wrote:
VMAN wrote:

If the board fits into a antec case, im up for it. The PSU has to have a 24 & 8 pin connector (has to be EPS12v) too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=

Edit, here is a SSI EEB case :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811124121

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:12 pm 
Some kid.
Some kid.

Nice 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:48 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

Option 3 would be cool if we get a few members to contribute. If we get 10 members to donate lets say 50 bucks each then it wouldn't cost you as much.

I'm willing to send that money through if we get a few people volunteering as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:50 pm 
Head Cheerleader

I could send some money. Not 50 dollars, but around 20.

Better than nothing (:

[quote="
.:Splak|DorkyGurl [boatsN'hoes]"]
no im a 40 year old flaming homosexual! [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:32 am 
Chuck Norris' Nuts (All 5 Of Them)

same here. I'll try to send some money...I just need to get some checks first lol

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
She is officially a member of the Itty bitty titty committee.

"Who controls the present controls the past. And, who controls the past controls the future" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:09 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Eh, I appreciate the thought guys, but I bet most of you need the money more than I need a new computer. I am heavily leaning toward option 2 right now, since I know the phenom II chips fairly well right now, I can bump it from 3.2 to 3.4 with no effort and deploy it with ease. Now if anyone still wants to donate, please do.

When I do this, I will have to bring down the current servers for a couple of days while I pull the hard drive out of it and back everything up, then install XP64 on it (in the new box), then move the server files to the new box, then put it back on site.

Just to see what kind of performance we will get out of the new box, I am going to move my L4D server files to a spare quad xeon (65nm 2.33) server they have sitting there, and see how it plays on it, it should give me a good estimate of what to expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

Alright Cole if you feel comfortable with this option you'de know more than the rest of us. In all cases we need to get the donations rolling I'll send what I can spare through paypal hope we get more members involved with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:47 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Ok, just bought a AM3 board, 4gb of DDR3 1600, antec case/psu, total was 320 shipped. "Someone" (who happens to be a splak member) is working on donating an AMD PhenomII 3.2ghz ($200) to splak. One we get all the parts, I can move forward on this, hopefully by next weekend it will be up.