Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:57 pm 
Splakking Spree

So to start off, about a year ago I was doing some really stupid shit, and I decided to try Cocaine, I did it off and on, a few times a week, for about a month. I noticed soon after, I started shaking in my hands, not much though, it was very minimal and barely noticeable. I figured it was a with drawl type thing.

6 Months ago, I noticed it was slightly worse, so I quit drugs of any sort, I didn't even touch weed(havn't since). Plus since I am planning on going into law enforcement I figured it wasn't worth it.

So, I went to a neurologist a few days ago, he asked me a bunch of questions, I was 100% honest, he asked about sexual activity, drinking, drugs, family history etc. I told him that my birth parents(I am adopted), were drug addicts and alcoholics. He then came to the conclusion and diagnosed me with Benign Essential Tremor, he told me that it is sort of like Parkinson's in a way, but it will not kill me. He said the shaking most likely will get worse with time, he also said that some people with this cannot even hold a cup of coffee without spilling it. I later then found out that my birth father had this too, and that it is genetic and a dominate trait. He continued to tell me that since my birth mother was using drugs well she was preg, did not help my case at all. I found out that with my encounter with cocaine brought out this BET trait sooner then it would have.

I also get really bad migraines which I found out is most likely due to BET, he told me there is no way to really treat it, medication works but will most likely only work for a short amount of time.

But, I can "cure" it in a sense, basically what I need to have done is surgery, the procedure is called "Deep Brain Stimulation". What I have learned from video's of this procedure is basically, they will drill a hole through my skull, use these metal type rods/wires and insert them into a certain part of my brain. I would be awake for the whole surgery, they only freeze your scalp so you don't feel them cutting it open, after that I should feel no pain at all, from what I understand there are no pain receivers in the brain(something along those lines). A few weeks later I go back and get a "pacemaker for the brain" implanted under my collarbone. After that is done, a few weeks later I go back and they program it. Then I will need to get my pacemaker recharged every now and then.

So the end result from what I understand is, this will interupt the part of the brain that sends these signals out too my body.

Now, I decided to hold off on this for a few years and see if it gets worse or better, but chances are it won't and I will need to get surgery.

To be honest, I am so relieved that they found out what was wrong, and what was causing my migraines, I know it sucks I have this problem, but on the bright side of things, there is a long term solution for me.

Here is a video of what they would basically do in the operation room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfp-i2nNBQY

and here is a video that shows a tremor and how AMAZING this technology is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uohp7luuwJI

Although mine is NOTHING like his and VERY minimal, there is that slight chance that mine can develop into something like this. Its just great there is a solution =)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

I thought I was going through a tough time, that really sucks, I am glad you're getting through this like a champ. Best of luck ACE! I hope everything turns up A-OKAY!

| SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:16 am 
The British One
The British One

Oh damn. I'm sorry to hear about it all, but I'm glad that you seem happy about finding a long time solution of helping you when you decide to have the operation.

From the other side of pond, I wish you good luck and hope things turn out for the best for you!

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:47 am 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

This is horrible to hear =( good luck man! You'll get through this

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:42 pm 
Chuck Norris' Nuts (All 5 Of Them)

Good luck with everything, Ace!@!

You are a real trooper, and you should be hella proud of yourself for staying so lvl headed.

Also, Merry X-Mas :]

<3Sexi_Lexi<3 wrote:
She is officially a member of the Itty bitty titty committee.

"Who controls the present controls the past. And, who controls the past controls the future" - George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:01 am 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

may the best happen, I got a pacemaker in me too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:28 am 
Some kid.
Some kid.

I wish you the best.

What type of LE are you interested in? I do ride alongs like every week with my PD, fucking awesome job dude. Planning to become a reserve in the future.