Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:31 pm 
The British One
The British One

So, roughly two weeks ago I got a new computer from my Cousin, as he was swapping it out for a new iMac, I paid him £350 which is $547 which is seriously cheap IMHO. However, Is there anything which could/should/needs to be upgraded and do you think it was a good purchase? Below is what I got for the money and specs.

2x 23" Samsung 2343NW Screens
1x Computer
-W7 Enterprise
-Office 2007

PC Specs:

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
x64-based PC
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
4GB RAM
1TB HD
500GB HD

Cheers :)

[Recruitment Moderator and Co-Recruiter]
Got any questions? PM me and i'll try and help.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Is this a custom computer, what CPU cooler does it have, what model # is the board, what power supply do you have, and finally what case?

Any "i-series" CPU will do close to (or above) 4ghz with a decent cooler, and a motherboard that supports it (MSI makes good boards). They are easy to overclock and scream at high ghz, I seriously recommend at a minimum putting on a cheap ($25usd) tower cooler on it and running it at least 3.6ghz+ That chip is clock for clock a direct match for mine, so if you theoretically got your base clock to 3.9ghz (turbo 4.1) you will perform the exact same as my chip (mine has one more memory channel, besides that is the same chip). I can give you overclocking instructions. Think of these CPUs as designed to run at 4ghz, but they ran way too hot, so they down-clocked them for power efficiency sake.

Second, the video card, its... old, based on a GPU from late 2007. But the good thing, its the very last one of the G92 chips, which dominated everything in its time, so its supper power efficient and cool running. The 8800gts G80 (320meg and 640) were hot huge cards, then a 8800gt came out, based on the G92, it had like 98 of the 128 processors enabled. Then they enabled like 112 and called it the 8800gts 512, then they shrunk it fully enabled it, and renamed it the g92b / 9800gts, then they renamed that the gts250 :P I used to have a 9800gx2, which was dual your cards :) Which my single gtx460 spanks.

You have to options:
1) I would suggest keeping this card as a "good enough" card until next summer when the 28nm based ATI and Nvidia cards come out. Expect a doubling of power of current gen. So about 4-6x the power of your current card for a $200usd card this next summer.
2) Buy a cheap mid range card, GTX460s can be had for as low as $100 on sale, or a ATI 6950 for about double that price with about 30% more power. A 460 would easily double the power of your card.

You can also (if you have dual gpu slots and your power supply can handle it) keep the gts250 as a physx card

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:30 pm 
The British One
The British One

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work and fitness.

I'm not sure whether the computer is custom built, but it is VERY possible that it was, I know he does build them.

Reading the Motherboard, it says "DrMOS equipped with APS" with "True PCI-E 2.0 x8 sli CrossFireX" below it - It also has "MSI - P55-GD65" & "MS7583 Ver, 1.0"

The CPU Cooler seems to be a Intel E41759-002 - http://www.easycom.com.ua/data/cpu/1001 ... 59-002.jpg

Power supply is a Cooler Master GX550W - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/CA-201-CM_400.jpg

Case seems to be a Cooler Master Elite 335 - http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.p ... ct_id=5239

What are the advantages/disadvantages of overclocking? - My computer tends to be running quite a fair a bit during weekends and then when I'm home from work. I don't really feel like frying anything inside, even if I do have the money to replace it.

So it's probably worth keeping this card until next summer when the new cards come out then - am I still able to at least play any new/upcoming games for the PC without having any sort of problems? The card seems to be doing fine so far, haven't had a problem really apart from the odd crash on Sid Myers Civilisation V - But I think that was due to my background screen changing it's picture, and since stopping that I haven't had a problem.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 pm 
The British One
The British One

Bump

Also, is this graphics card any good? It's currently on a deal at my local computer store - http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... c-1gi.html - Relatively..cheap..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

The gtx560ti is a good card, essentially the same card as I have, just re-branded and a couple of tweaks that make it about 5% faster. Your PSU has the necessary wires (you have 2+6pin x2, card requires both of them) and the necessary power to run any single card. If you can wait for the new cards, they will be twice as powerful for the same price.

Core I7 chips are very good for overclocking also because when idle, they down-clock (to like 1.8ghz per core) and only clock up to the high speeds when you need it. As long as you keep the chip cool, it will last a long time. My chip (3.06ghz running at 4.1ghz, will last longer overclocked, because with the cooler I have, it runs much colder than stock). So yeah, the disadvantage is that your computer when playing games (or otherwise stressed hard) will produce more heat, and you will have to buy a better cooler. The upside is that your computer will be 25-50% faster.

You need a socket 1156 compatible cooler, and a tube of good thermal paste, then we can talk overclocking :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835106150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835426020

Found your board too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 8131302391

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:42 pm 
The British One
The British One

Going off topic for the moment, do you know of any reasons why I would be getting BSOD? I've probably had about 4/5 since I got the computer...

BCCode: 24
BCP1: 00000000001904FB
BCP2: FFFFF8800338C8D8
BCP3: FFFFF8800338C130
BCP4: FFFFF8800149E027
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:53 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Try a checkdisk

Start
Run
cmd
chkdsk /f
"y" enter

You can also run a system file check to be safe:
sfc /scannow
reboot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 pm 
The British One
The British One

Any reason why this could come up?

"Access denied you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode" - I'm new to W7, always been an XP kinda guy.

Edit: I ran both via cmd - Run as Administrator, but they came back clean.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Press start, type UAC, press enter
Slide the bar to the bottom to disable the annoying UAC pop-ups (and run-as issues).

Good that they both came up clean. If you keep getting bluescreens then you can try a windows re-install, or see if its a hardware issue (which sucks).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:38 pm 
The British One
The British One

I decided to download Blue Screen View, just to see what type of error I am getting, but funnily enough, I can't find ANY type of fix on the web for w7 - mainly 2000 or xp.

Bug Check String: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code: 0x00000024
Caused by Driver: Ntfs.sys
Caused by address: Ntfs.sys+9d027

Have you ever came across this Cole?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 am 
The British One
The British One

Got another one today.

STOP 0x0000001E KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Noticed something though, every time my Lycosa keyboard stops working (In the sense, I'm unable to type anything) I can guarantee a BSOD soon after. :S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463012
In here, you can find a program called windbg. It reads mini dumps. Let me know if you have any questions.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 am 
The British One
The British One

Can I get a couple views on the NVIDIA GTX 680? thanks

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=2&ca ... ubcat=3655

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

$torm wrote:
Can I get a couple views on the NVIDIA GTX 680? thanks

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=2&ca ... ubcat=3655

The GTX680 is the fastest card out, and also most power efficient. It is the card I have been waiting for, but it is currently overpriced (in a way).

The issue is don't look at the name of the card (GTX680), but the name of the chip (gk104). They normally release a x0 card, then a x4 card, then x6 and x8, etc. The lower the number, the larger/morepowerful the chip. The G stands for graphics, and the second letter stands for the generation (Tesla, Fermi, Kepler) For example:

GT100 = GTX280
GF100 = GTX470/480
GF110 = GTX570/580 (the updated versions of the GF100)
GF104 = GTX460
GF114 = GTX560 (again, the updated GF104)
GK104 = ?????? (if you follow the pattern it should be the GTX660)

So the new chip is the GK104, the board matches a GTX460/560 in memory interface (256 bit) and setup, but it blows everything away, its the fastest chip made, so they named it the GTX680 (it should be the GTX660), and instead of pricing it $280us, its $499. Again, I feel its overpriced, but for how powerful it is, it matches its price. It beats my old dual 460 setup.

They still have a GK100 card coming out (gtx690?) that will be a beast, but hot and expensive, hopefully it will drive down the 680 to a normal price, or they will release a GT106/108 that is very close in power, but cost much less.

Everything you can want to know about the GTX680 (and Kepler):
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22653

"With that said, you may or may not be pleased to hear that Nvidia has priced the GeForce GTX 680 at $499.99. On one hand, that undercuts the Radeon HD 7970 by 50 bucks and should be a decent deal given its specs. On the other, that's a lot more than you'd expect to pay for the spiritual successor to the GeForce GTX 560 Ti—and despite its name, the GTX 680 is most definitely that. Simply knowing that fact may create a bit of a pain point for some of us, even if the price is justified based on this card's performance. "

"We hate to be a Debbie Downer here, though, so we'll mention something else. The GTX 680 is part of a family of Kepler-based products, and as the fastest member so far, it's bound to command a premium. But we expect to see a whole range of new cards and GPUs based on Kepler to be hitting the market in the coming months, almost all of them more affordable than this one. Given the amazing efficiency of the Kepler architecture, we expect really good things to follow"

So my opinion is still wait for this summer to see what happens when the full range of 28nm cards are release (so far nvidia has 1 28nm card out).

Also this may shine a light on this card's power
GTS250 (your card) = 128 stream processors
GTX460 = 336 stream processors
GTX480 = 480 stream processors
GTX560 = 384 stream processors
GTX580 = 512 stream processors
GTX680 = 1536 stream processors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:18 pm 
The British One
The British One

Thanks your advice once again Cole, i'll do what you say and wait until the Summer to see what new cards come out, then possibly purchase one.

Just another quick question. I'm currently about to reformat my computer to put in my SSD HD, but I know that I need to have the drivers ready once W7 is installed. I don't believe the two CDs that I was given are the correct ones for my chipset... Am I right in saying that I can download the drivers from Intel or MSI and install them like that or is it important to have the CD?

FYI: The two CDs I have are;
an ASUS/Intel P35 chipset one
Foxconn 946GZ7MA/946PL7MA

Can you advise me?